Zpu-4

I recently bought a ZPU-4 from a dealer and had it delivered last Saturday,the gun was one of two that had recently been sold off.The usual story with these being trophies bought back from the Gulf War and most probably stood as gate guards for many years.

I had a feeling that all the moving parts would be seized and was not wrong ! the travers mechanism is very similar to that of the Bofors and the elevation running on a ball race the same as the Maxson turret, having restored several of these in the past I was pretty sure that the fastest solution to freeing things up was to get straight into the guts of the gun.

After removing the Gun turret I was pleased to see the traverse ball race looking like new and free to turn by hand so it was a case of getting into the Gun turret with the lance to heat the linkage upto and including the hand wheels.

Anyway three days later the turret is now fully working which takes it from being no more than a gate guard to being a collectable Artillery piece waiting its turn to be restored.

Although it has no real value I have always fancied one of these because I think they are a mean looking weapon and from what I have read were pretty devastating with US helicopter pilots steering well clear of there positions !

Rob..................rnixartillery

Hi Rob, nice was this the one at War & Peace earlier this year

I looked at that one and was in two minds to go for it but in

the end I thought I had better get the ones done I have already

Commander

Chris,

Kerry had two for sale ,the one at War and Peace had been blown over with paint and sold (don't know who too ) It was also seized so unfortunately the paint is for nothing if the owner wants to get it freed up and moving again.

The one I bought had not been touched so nothing to worry about hitting it with some heat. My one is working a treat now so I guess the next job is to sandblast and paint, it does have all four 14.5 heavy machine guns de-activated. Not sure whether to keep it or sell it on as it doesn't really fit in my collection.

It is an awesome piece of kit though !

Rob..................rnixartillery.

We've got one of these as our gate guards, XV Sqn, 12 Sqn, 617 Sqn and the Lossiemouth main Gate also have one so there must be dozens of these on bases. The one we have is also seized solid, I had a go at trying to free it but like yours, its going to need some serious heat to free it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Lovely, I don't think the Hawk and Tucano pilots on training flights round here would approve though...

I live on the edge of Catterick Garrison and I'm pretty sure the Helicopter pilots use my place for simulated battle training what with the Artillery I have outside :whistle:. They are constantly flying around our Farm ! :angry

Rob..................rnixartillery.