Some Questions regarding the Cromwell MkIV

Old Git

I'm hoping that some of you knowledgeable chaps might be able to help out here.

1.) Can anyone shed any light/Piccies on the access panels in the Engine compartment bulkhead. The only pictures I've managed to find of this bulkhead (as viewed from the fighting compartment) show a large access hole, with a curved top, leading into the engine compartment. I have a drawing from the tank museum which appears to show a large access panel held in place with wingnut or some sort. However, it also seems to show that this access panel contains three other access panels, immediately behind the bevel gearbox. Are these access panels within a bigger access panel or are they holes? I presume they're access panels or why else would you have a need for 'Air intake control flaps' on either side? Has anyone got any pics of what the complete panel looks like?

2.) Does anyone know if the newer forms of main fuel tap handwheels were more common on the Cromwell IV? The older type, as fixed to the lower right side of the engine bulkhead, resembled the chain drive on a bicycle with a handwheel, bicycle chain and a cog wheel. At some point they replaced this with a pair of vertical spigots. Just wondering if these were part of the FS upgrades or something that was introduced into the manufacturing process so that only later produced Cromwells had them?

3.) Drivers Seat: Can anyone explain (pics would be great) how the drivers seat attached to the floor and if at was hinged at the front to allow it to be tilted forward? I know the back of the seat lifted out to allow quick access to the drivers compartment but I think I've once seen a picture showing the seat tilting forward as though it were hinged at the front were the legs met the floor (can't find that pic though). However, I've also got a, not very clear, drawing that seems to indicate that the seat was on some sort of rails which allowed it to to slide foward/backwards which makes sense if trying to accomodate all leg lengths. Any pics of how the seat was constructed under the 'seat' area would also be great.

4.) Has anyone got any good pictures of various control units in the drivers area, i.e. attachement point for pushrods on/near the accelerator, brake and clutch pedals and generally all the levers and controls along the right-hand side, like mast, especially around the RH steering master cyclinder and the strangler lever.

5.) Can anyone scan a section of the Cromwell IV Handbook / Service Instruction Manual, the section covering the steering brakes and track brakes?

6.) Does anyone have a PDF version of the Cromwell IV Handbook / Service Instruction manual?

7.) Can anyone comment on how the outside armour plates come together, are they lipped with one overlapping the other or do they just but up together. And do you really need to remove the idler, idler axle and the tensioner before you can remove the foremost outsidfe armour plate?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

Pete

Some questions.....!? ;) I can answer all fully with some scans from the parts list and handbook but for now,

1.) Three separate plates fitting on the front of the bulkhead. The centre plate has strips for the outer plates to lap onto on their inner edges.

2.) The later, twin taps are shown in all but the very early parts lists, I'll see if the build cards tell any more.

3.) Of the top of my head, I'm sure it bolts down and is adjustable fore and aft but will check.

4.) Yes!

5.) Yes!

6.) Speaking for myself, no.

7.) The plates just butt together and as far as I can remember you do have to remove the idler etc to remove the plate but again, will check later.

Thanks Adrian for the answers! Re the engine compartment panel, DOH! It's three separate access panels not one big one. Sometimes y'just can't see the wood for the trees!!!! Or in this case the panels for the tin! And of course now that I'm looking at the drawings it all makes sense. I guess the extra markings on the drawings are some form of embossed feature on t5he panel, like stiffener grooves.

Some questions.....!?

LOL, all things being relative mate and given the number of questions that get thrown up when you've only got the drawings to go on, these are only a few!

Rick,

thanks for the offer buddy and I might just take you up on that. Given that I'm on the other side of London, Old Buck is a six hour round trip for me and given that I belong to the wife and kids most weekends I shall have to plan it out! Although Mid-term break is looming so there might be a window of opportunity there!

Offer them a ride in the country and a pub lunch, that should do it!

Not very likely, after 20 years together I've just got to walk into the Kitchen and say "hello darling" to hear the oft-repeated response, "if it's got anything to do with tanks or militaria the answer is NO!":blush: