What licence for a CCKW?

diggerdog36

Question

I know this is probably quite a basic question but I'm confused!

If I passed my test in 1999 and have B and B1 on my licence which is vans upto 3500kg, does this mean I can drive a CCKW which is surely 2.5t (hence it's name, Duece and a half!!)

Or, am I being stupid!!

You can have a 750kg trailer behind a 7.5 ton truck if you have the older type licence. Although most caravans weigh more than this. If the whole outfit is under 7.5 ton then you are okay. The new version of this category (if you take the separate test) allows you up to 12 ton total including trailer with the truck under 7.5 ton.

If you are going to have a dummy load then it needs to be secured in a way that it cannot be removed easily. The VOSA definition is that it must take workshop equipment to remove. Therefore welded or similar. If this is done then it is not a load and the vehicle is unladen.

Some vehicles by definition cannot carry a load. My Unipower and our friends Diamond T are both classed as ballast tractors and therefore cannot carry a load. In the case of the Unipower this is easy - there is no space to put anything!

Ed

In Jersey at one time the vehicle was counted on unladen weight at registration, nothing mentioned about gross weights. :cool2: It was common practice to cut bits off, strip out everything inculding the windscreen wipers , then get it weighed. After that put everything back! Them were the days! :D

Category C1E is for goods vehicles between 3500kgs maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) and 7500kgs MAM combined with trailers over 750kg MAM.

However, the trailer MAM entitlement varies depending on driver age and how the C1E entitlement was gained:

Drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 normally will also have category C1E entitlement. However, they will have an absolute combined vehicle and trailer MAM of 8250kgs.

Drivers who passed their car test after 1 January 1997 will to have to pass further tests - Category C1 (theory and practical) followed by C1E practical. There is no subcategory C1E theory test. It is not possible to go directly from category B to category C1E. Drivers who gain C1E in this manner can drive category C1 vehicles combined with a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the combination does not exceed 12000kgs MAM and the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

However, because EC regulations limit drivers aged under 21 years to driving vehicles or combinations which weigh no more than 7500kgs MAM, drivers under the age of 21 are not allowed to drive subcategory C1E vehicles up to 12000kgs MAM. Drivers aged 18 to 21 are allowed to take a test for subcategory C1E, it just means that entitlement is limited to a combination weight of 7500kgs MAM until the driver reaches 21 years, at which time the balance of 12000kgs MAM entitlement automatically becomes effective.

Drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 and wish to raise their combined vehicle and trailer MAM of 8250kgs to the full 12000kgs will have to meet the higher medical standards, obtain a Category C1E Provisional Licence and then pass both theory and practical C1+E driving tests (in this instance they do not have to take a C1 practical test beforehand).

To drive vehicles of this type professionally (i.e. in connection with a business or employment) drivers will also need to meet the driver CPC requirement.

Supervising drivers accompanying provisional C1E licence holders must themselves have passed a C1E or CE practical test and have held their full C1E or CE licence for at least 3 years. In other words, a driver who holds category C1E only by virtue of ‘acquired rights’ can no longer act as a supervising driver; this rule changed in May 2010.