Help - 105mm Howitzer

Judging by the paint scheme, my guess is Greece.

H.

The M8s were ex-Greek so that would tie in with these being the same. Perhaps he got a job lot?

Yup quite right, he had about 10 or so I believe but this was when I first enquired about them, which was around Jan 2007. That is where the pics come from.

Having got one roughly 6 months ago about May 2009, all the major parts were there, just gas axed. All the bits were able to be welded up, most of the easy bits done, the only two bad bits left to do are the elevating cresents which have lumps cut out of them, but as they are different heights each side I can still wind the barrel up past these cuts to full elevation 60 ish Deg. The other bit are the two springs under the main carriage which assist the elevating of the barrel, even with my two springs gas axed, it is still reasonably easy to wind the barrel right up, so with the springs working properly it must be a doddle.. We shall see.

• 4 months later...

Hi Rob, I see in the second pic of post No 15 on page two of this thread, you have the nut back on the end of the hydraulic ram fixed to the sledge, can you explain what you have done to keep the barrel and sledge in the ready to fire position, was the nut there when you got the gun or have you bought one ?

The barrel cleaning rods which you have made the brass ends for, could you show how these go together, I presume there is one brass screw on each end of the wood shafts ?

Tell us more.

Speaking as a welder and fabricator the damage done can, with the proper tools and a coat of paint be made invisible.

It just depends on your skill level and patience.

my 2 cents worth

R

Which bits are you referring to, just to the general appearance of the gun or with ref to the elevating gears ?

Are the last two post not meant for the Springs 105mm howitzer thread

there's over 1000lb of metal rotating around the elevation arc so unless you are just doing it for cosmetic reasons it would be best getting it done by a gear cutter as Rob has suggested, otherwise it will break and or jam.

Steve

Are the last two post not meant for the Springs 105mm howitzer thread

there's over 1000lb of metal rotating around the elevation arc so unless you are just doing it for cosmetic reasons it would be best getting it done by a gear cutter as Rob has suggested, otherwise it will break and or jam.

Steve

Yes quite agree, but I dont know what Robin was referring to !

I have been looking at the crescents on my gun and I only need about 3 to 4 teeth each side so what I have thought of is, that there is about 4 teeth on each crescent right at the bottom of them, this is for depressing the barrel right down, for shooting down hill maybe :nut: I cant see me ever needing to depress the barrel that much, so if I cut those bits off tidy them up and weld them in to the damaged gas axe area I will be on to a winner, only thing is I am doing more damage but in a different place :-(

We shall see what happens.

I have done some repair work on cut equipment and using brazing and welding and good grinding I have erased all traces of cuts to the naked eye.

As far as the gears go they can be cast quite easily and faired in after welding.

R

Interesting point on getting a section cast, will look in to that.

Yes as most of the bits on these guns are thick they take well to a good bit of welding and some fettling with a grinder, all the really nasty bits have welded up a treat and as you say the unknowing would not know any different, the problems arise with delicate pieces such as the gun sight holders which have knobs for adjusting levels ect and these have been sledge hammered off this will be the next long term job to get the parts replaced and sorted out.

A question if you please , The artillery unit has been demilled and documented as such , I know the repair

work is cosmetic in its intent . Once the damage has been removed from the surface of the unit wouldnt the owner run into problems with the powers that be that the piece is still demilled ?

There is only a few specific modifications that need to be carried out on the gun for it to comply, with ref to the UK spec from Birmingham Proof house. These modifications have not been interfered with and the cutting up of the carriage and subsequent repair of the carriage does not effect the De activation of the gun, the gun is still unable to chamber a round and there is no ability to fit a firing pin.