battery oxidisation

As the title suggests, seem to have a bit of a problem.

6 volt, jeep.

After a longish run I keep getting the white oxidisation (white powder) around the battery area. It seems to be getting worse.

I had cleaned the area but after a run yesterday of about 60 miles and checking under the hood today its back again.

Seems to be charging ok but could it be over charging ?

It seems to start on the stud from the top battery frame and then move down,I can now see it on the inner wing.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

my gut feeling would be gassing as there is no loss of liquid when standing and No sign of leaks.

Interestingly there seems NO marks on the battery its self,just the surrounding metal work. (the post are spotless and dry)

As a matter of interest what should be the upper limit of voltage be when running.

I had a similar problem on my jeep after I fitted a new battery, take the tops off and hold them up to the light if you can see straight through the breather holes change them for some of the older type with a much better baffle in the vent. I got some from an older disgarded battery and had no more trouble. Wash everything affected with bi-carbonate of soda mixed with warm water as eventually your paintwork will suffer. I have a battery mat under my jeeps battery, it is treated so as to neutralise any acid, I think the mat was called a battery butler ? I got mine from Ebay.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

my gut feeling would be gassing as there is no loss of liquid when standing and No sign of leaks.

Interestingly there seems NO marks on the battery its self,just the surrounding metal work. (the post are spotless and dry)

As a matter of interest what should be the upper limit of voltage be when running.

On a 12v system, max charging voltage should be 14.2v, so I assume the max on a 6v system should be 7.1v.

John

Ok couple of quick checks revealed that with engine at about normal road speed, voltage at battery reads 7.6v. I would have thaought that was ok.

However after checking the level it was infact too hi. :blush: i remember topping it up a couple of months ago:blush:.

Seems level in these 6 volt batteries charged with genorator and reg box is more critical than 12 volt charged from an alternator.

I will report back after a run or two, but in the mean time thanks for all the input.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised an update.

Well Degsy wins the gold medal. there was infact too much liquid in the cells. Completed 120 miles this weekend and NO problems. Thanks for ALL the input.

I think that when a problem is solved is important not only to report the solution but to thank everyone who contributed.

Edited by gas 44