Poll on Armored Car..

lssah2025

OK guys you are off topic :-D. Only two to choose from, (WW2 vehicles only) the HAC MK IV or Fox MK I. No other goodies allowed in this poll... This is actually for a potential buy, so I am looking for good honest information. I already have a HSC and have delt with all the Rootes/Humber issues and have spares, two friends have MKIV's and two have Foxes.

Pros: 37mm over .50 cal.

GM parts over Rootes/Humber etc.

Cool factor?

Driving factor?

Rarity factor?

Cost or value factor?

Edited by lssah2025

Pros: 37mm over .50 cal.

GM parts over Rootes/Humber etc.

Cool factor?

Driving factor?

Rarity factor?

Cost or value factor?

Never had any experience of the GUY/Karrier/Humber, but quite a bit of the Fox so here are some thoughts.

GM parts vs. Roots -I would imagine that spares are easier to generally come by for the Fox - although I believe the transfer case is unique to the model so could be tricky. The GMC engine is bullet proof as everyone knows.

Cool factor - A 37mm wins every time

Driving factor - Never driven a Humber so I couldn't say, but the fox has a wonderful engine (surprise surprise), quite a nice gearbox - albeit rather uncomfortable to operate, decent brakes, and the most vicious steering return I have ever encountered - easily enough to break an arm if things get tangled up. It is also a complete pig to get into and out of, although comfortable enough once ensconced, and take care of the regulator, because with the battery right next to you it's no joke if it explodes (it happened to someone I know and he was beyond lucky to get out of that one intact)

Rarity factor - A no brainer as only 200 foxes were built, although I have my doubts that this is reflected in values.

Cost or value factor? Very relative as always. A Humber gives you more scope as regards camouflage and markings, whereas the Fox should either be two tone brown mickey mouse (Canadian or Polish in Italy) or Green (provost in Holland).

Try driving one of each if possible, but if I had a choice I'd go for the Humber. Just one of those things.

Actually no I wouldn't, if I had the choice I'd have a Daimler :)

OK second inquiry, interior color for a 42 GMC Fox, silver?

As a rule I'd say white (albeit a very grainy eggshell off white). although I have seen some silver paint on the backs of the support panels of a dismantled interior that I worked on for a (frustrating) period of time - could it possibly be the same vehicle that you're looking to buy? In any case, the person you really want to be talking to is Bruce Parker on the MLU forum - what he doesn't know about Foxes probably isn't worth knowing.