Airborne wire trolley

Louis Wright a good friend who runs the Market Gardeners group came over and did a thorough explanation on how it worked, he owns 2 of them. I probably wouldnt do it justice if I tried to explain.

What a fine Jeep that is in the background :angel:

• 1 month later...
I don't know much about these things. Can anybody enlighten me please?

Thanks

Tim

IMG_2758_zpsb3d02db6.jpg

Hi Tim , These were produced in quite large numbers during the war I believe - I have restored a couple of these for folk in the past and have so far seen three different versions . Two of which are literally only different in the design of the lifting handles - One set are solid flat bar in construction while the other set are of a wire construction . The third variant is a very early version which had solid metal spoke wheels with no tyres on them . All look as if they may have been based around Austin 7 hubs and wheels (Although as yet I have never tried the wheels on my Austin , so don't hold me to that!). They all take the standard large Cable Drum , complete with the cotton braided D10 cable and are supposed to have been used for laying lines of communication out between positions etc . One set of handles fold to allow a more stable position when winding in or reeling out and each barrow was equipped with its' own box key in a holder and was supposed to carry a spare spindle shaft . I have the early steel wheeled version and one rubber tyred version in my collection - I am not sure of dates of production but seem to think the steel sheeled version is dated 1940 . I will try and think on the get a pic of that one and post it up. Hope this helps - Rgds Glynn

Hi Tim , These were produced in quite large numbers during the war I believe - I have restored a couple of these for folk in the past and have so far seen three different versions . Two of which are literally only different in the design of the lifting handles - One set are solid flat bar in construction while the other set are of a wire construction . The third variant is a very early version which had solid metal spoke wheels with no tyres on them . All look as if they may have been based around Austin 7 hubs and wheels (Although as yet I have never tried the wheels on my Austin , so don't hold me to that!). They all take the standard large Cable Drum , complete with the cotton braided D10 cable and are supposed to have been used for laying lines of communication out between positions etc . One set of handles fold to allow a more stable position when winding in or reeling out and each barrow was equipped with its' own box key in a holder and was supposed to carry a spare spindle shaft . I have the early steel wheeled version and one rubber tyred version in my collection - I am not sure of dates of production but seem to think the steel sheeled version is dated 1940 . I will try and think on the get a pic of that one and post it up. Hope this helps - Rgds Glynn

Hi Glynn thanks for the info about this bit of kit, the trolley belongs to me but Tim posted the question for me as I was unable to upload photos at the time. I would be very interested in a cable drum if you have one for sale or know the whereabouts of one please, Ian

Hi Ian , I don't think I have a spare drum at the moment - I know I did have some spare bits for the trolley but will have a look around - They do come up every so often so I will keep you informed cheers Glynn

Hi Glynn got your PM about the parts so will come back to you if I can do a deal with him ? back to the drum, I am going to Beaulieu this weekend so a photo of the drum & size might be helpful. cheers Ian

I have had one of these trolleys for years with the steel rimmed wheels but missing the brass plate, so don't know if it's local production or otherwise. I have seen a couple of photos of them being used in the pacific campaigns.

The attached photo was at a swap/car show in the 1980's with a small reel. I have a large reel full of steel twin wire and it's all I can do to just roll it around because of the weight (in storage under the house).

It's good to see different pics of these seldom seen objects, so thanks for posting.

Andrew B.

File0001.jpg

I have had one of these trolleys for years with the steel rimmed wheels but missing the brass plate, so don't know if it's local production or otherwise. I have seen a couple of photos of them being used in the pacific campaigns.

The attached photo was at a swap/car show in the 1980's with a small reel. I have a large reel full of steel twin wire and it's all I can do to just roll it around because of the weight (in storage under the house).

It's good to see different pics of these seldom seen objects, so thanks for posting.

Andrew B.

Hi Andrew that trolley is interesting, its the same as mine except solid rather than spoked wheels. and I should have the correct wood/metal drum coming my way this week ;)