Battery Chargers & Width Indicators

Edd

We have been having lots of electrical issues with the vehicles recently so it is time to invest in a decent battery charger. We need to charge everything from 12V car battery up to the large 24V truck batteries. For the number of batteries we have and their cost I don't mind spending quite a bit on the charger. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also I might be being stupid but where on earth can you get the width indicator poles that are sometimes fitted to commercial vehicles? Or are they called something different? They type I am after bolt or clamp to the wind and then have a pole with a round ball on the end. I need one for the unipower as you can't see the front passenger corner from the drivers seat.

Thanks

Ed

Best charger is the twin 12v xtreme charger available from United Scientific Instruments at Kenilworth, Warwickshire. I have one, it is only low output (2.5amps) but is excellent at recovering batteries, also suitable for AGM batteries. the twin version is obviously useful for vehicles with 24v systems which most of mine are.

I use a battery conditioner on my motorbike (an optimate 3), which kept the battery good for 9 years. Very rarely ran the bike in winter and it kept the battery fresh.

Try Optimate's website. (Google, can't remember it at moment).

Best charger is the twin 12v xtreme charger available from United Scientific Instruments at Kenilworth, Warwickshire. I have one, it is only low output (2.5amps) but is excellent at recovering batteries, also suitable for AGM batteries. the twin version is obviously useful for vehicles with 24v systems which most of mine are.

Completely agree with this I have used one of these to bring Hawkers back to life that had sat untouched for 5 years plus. They now hold their charge beautifully...took a few days to do mind you!

Completely agree with this I have used one of these to bring Hawkers back to life that had sat untouched for 5 years plus. They now hold their charge beautifully...took a few days to do mind you!

Ditto. I also have a Ring Smartcharge 16 but the Pulsetech chargers are in a class of their own. Mind you, at the price they should be!

Andy

Ditto. I also have a Ring Smartcharge 16 but the Pulsetech chargers are in a class of their own. Mind you, at the price they should be!

Andy

You only need to recover one pair of Hawkers and it is paid for !

on a related note....... can anyone recommend a good supplier for 6 volt batteries?...

I have a need for one and have browsed all over the web but..seeing as a lot of vintage WW2 vehicles are 6 volt I wondered if any of you have a preferred supplier price/quality wise etc :)

The one on my old Hudson is a 225 AH which seems a heck of a lot ???....nothing I've been offered so far is near that whack.....suggestions anyone ?...

I have thought about going down the route of having a pair of modern 6 volt batteries in parallel to boost the cranking amperage .....any thoughts on that ??

thanks in advance and apologies for going off thread a bit !

• 2 weeks later...