SCC2 (Brown) paint

simon king

HI PETER

I agree with your comments on age on photographs but it also applys to colour cards I was very lucky that lived near to

mr Gerry Barton who owned a company called The HUMBER OIL COMPANY who made amongst other things paint for

the WAR DEPARTMENT during the war and kept lots of original colour cards and orders and they kindly let me copy what they had as you say a fascinating subject The name Humber Oil Company may not mean alot to some but I bet the name

HUMBROL does

REGARDS WALLY

Hi Wally I know the name I was a crew commander at Queens Gardens in 77/78 we had an electrical fire in one of the tumbling machines there ; I understand the cards were to be kept in boxes away from light in an even temp. Even today the US Federal fans of colour cards come boxed. As Peter said with a photo you don't even start with the right colour reproduction, I was researching some old RAF fire tenders and stumbled on a host of photos and the vehicle bodies all looked white or possibly very light grey - A friend who used to lecture on the subject informed me that there was a type of monochrome film in use up until the early 1970s which reproduced Red as an off white; These things were all set up many many years ago to lead us down the garden path. Cards are the best answer especially if they have been stored correctly . Some years ago the RAF Museum reproduced the colours from the Air Ministry/ Min of Aircraft Production cards and sold then in their shop and by mail order- I wonder if Bryan could twist some arms with the SCC cards ?????

best Wishes

TED

Edited by ted angus

But remember the sample of 499 you will be shown will be glosss and your needs are matt you saw in my low tech test, that in matt it looks a totally different colour !

Interesting - as you say on the colour fans as a gloss it looks a completely different colour - much more chocolaty so we put it and Mike Starmer's SCC2 chip through the colour analyser and there is a 6.9% difference -whatever that may mean.

Accordingly we ran thought the fans and BS4800 08C39 seems a better match at only 2% difference. We've added a touch of white and it looks to be in the right ball park.