How to rescue a Rolls stuck in the desert

RAFMT

We’ve all been there, you’re pottering along the desert tracks minding your own business, when you find you’ve hit a soft patch and lost control.

Now your Rolls Royce Armoured Car is stuck fast, so who do you call when the AA is unavailable?

img018_zpsfb9273f5.jpg

I found this image quite interesting and thought some on here might enjoy it.

Bernard,

I reckon you are right, they have put the chain or rope around the trackrod and bent it, as that steering lock is far too excessive. :undecided:

Richard, I don't think you are right. If they pulled on the track rod the wheels would be pointing inwards not out to the left. I think that something far more serious has happened. The track rod is behind the front axle, so they had the axle to hook onto first. There is no way that the wheel could get that far around if it was just a bent track rod.

It is a great photo.

Regards Rick.

Just blew the photo up as far as I could and it looks like the front axle has become un-attached on the right side. Can't see if it is still attached to the spring or not but with the damage to the front mudguard, I'd say that she has hit something pretty hard and knocked the front axle off the car.

Regards Rick.

Richard, I don't think you are right. If they pulled on the track rod the wheels would be pointing inwards not out to the left. I think that something far more serious has happened. The track rod is behind the front axle, so they had the axle to hook onto first. There is no way that the wheel could get that far around if it was just a bent track rod.

Hi Rick,

Not enlarged it to look that closely, but to your point, as the track rod is behind the axle, and I have come across this a few times, a chain or rope has been passed over the axle and the track rod, by doing this it pulls the back of the wheels in giving excessive "toe out" when the vehicle is dragged out.

From your closer examination it seems more like the axle is detached. Interesting picture though, of both vehicles.

If I am allowed to express my opinion: It does not seem to me as if the RR got stuck in a soft patch of sand but actually smashed into an excavation on the roadside.

Makes sense considering how deep the RR is in it.

If I am allowed to express my opinion: It does not seem to me as if the RR got stuck in a soft patch of sand but actually smashed into an excavation on the roadside.

Yes, it was just a bit of flippancy on my part in setting up for the picture.

Robert- as far as I remember it's a Rolls chassis from the rough dating of the photos in the album. A general rule of thumb with the RAF ones was that by the time the bodies were transferred to Fordson chassis the turrets were sporting Boys rifles alongside the Vickers guns and Scarff rings to mount the Lewis guns. Although I'm willing to be corrected on that.

Robert- as far as I remember it's a Rolls chassis from the rough dating of the photos in the album. A general rule of thumb with the RAF ones was that by the time the bodies were transferred to Fordson chassis the turrets were sporting Boys rifles alongside the Vickers guns and Scarff rings to mount the Lewis guns. Although I'm willing to be corrected on that.

Thanks for that. Does anyone have any details of these Ford/Rolls Royce Armoured cars as I would like to write something for the Early Ford V8 club magazine.

Many thanks.