Fordson Wireless Tender

RAFMT

Found these good pictures of a Fordson "Radio Truck" (photographer's term) among the RAF Museum collection.

014_zpsb990e87d.jpg

015_zps693a3648.jpg

Although it only occurred to me yesterday, that to my shame I've only ever known it as a Fordson Tender and don't actually know what model of Fordson it's based on!

Great shots thanks for posting, now according to the bible its a Fordson 79 truck 30cwt 4x2 Officially known as Armed Tender Type F; On the RAF M site there is a pic of one in Manger Squarte and one also appears amongst the library of congress shots. I am a little concerned about wireless bit as there was an armed and an unarmed wireless tender I am sure I have seen a picture and it has more poles and bits and pieces to form an aerial I will have a dig -- have you seen the library of congress shot ???

TED

Here is the picture with the aerial erected, so a wireless truck it is. These Fordsons were preceded by Commer Raiders, a Morris and RR mounted tenders; I think with some of these some were specifically termed wireless tender. A fancinating era .

TED

tender.jpg

Here is the picture with the aerial erected, so a wireless truck it is. These Fordsons were preceded by Commer Raiders, a Morris and RR mounted tenders; I think with some of these some were specifically termed wireless tender. A fancinating era .

TED

That doesn't look like the ideal place to set up a wireless truck.

Look at the power lines above the ariel. Two thoughts come to mind., 1. you wouldn't want to go much higher and 2. there would be a lot of interference from the electricity going through the wires. I guess it was a staged photo.

Nice looking truck though.

Regards Rick.

Ted- I suppose for clarity i should have said I know them as the armed/unarmed tender, or something similar. I am aware the Library of Congress has a number of RAF Middle East photographs in its collection, but it's one of those things I mean to get around to looking at and never do! I shall head over there promptly.

Ted- I suppose for clarity i should have said I know them as the armed/unarmed tender, or something similar. I am aware the Library of Congress has a number of RAF Middle East photographs in its collection, but it's one of those things I mean to get around to looking at and never do! I shall head over there promptly.

take a flask but watch out for the border guards, most if not all the useful L of C shots are on FLICKR now.

can I ask how you got the shots you posted I have tried all the usual routes on the internet into the RAFM collection.

take care

TED

• 1 year later...