Advice on Ferrets required by the ton !

Locolines

Well, I got offered two ferrets, so I bit the bullet and bought them.

the first one will arrive next week.

its a mk4 ferret and its amphibious ( !! ) and has a turret on the top. It came from the Guards and has done only 6000 miles from new. It's got all its equipment including a radio.

the second one is a mk2 without a turret.

I know nothing about the ferret other than what I see on google.

So why have I bought them? I don't know!

Anyway ,they have been sitting in a very dry, secure premises for about 25 years and I would like some advice please on things to check before I try to fire it up, other than checking the oil and water.

Oh ! goodness knows what I have let myself in for.

change engine oil drain any old fuel put new in replace /charge batts make sure air filter havent got a mouse nest in em ! then try to start oh and read all threads on hmvf about ferrets drain replenish coolant as well

Make sure on the Mk2 that the brakes are 100% on every wheel and that it can STOP!

The wheel cylinders are aluminum and tend to seize if the brake fluid isn't changed, likewise the same issue can arise in the master cylinder through water in the brake fluid which will cause it to rust, plus of course worn seals in all the hydraulic cylinders.

I believe the Mk4 has calipers, again the same check need to be done, that the brakes are effective.

Diana

its a mk4 ferret and its amphibious ( !! ) and has a turret on the top. It came from the Guards and has done only 6000 miles from new. It's got all its equipment including a radio.

Anyway ,they have been sitting in a very dry, secure premises for about 25 years and I would like some advice please on things to check before I try to fire it up, other than checking the oil and water.

yeh in post 2 ! u might want to throw some new plugs in as well:D if u can read all the threads i have started 99 percent are ferret related to my experiences /questions with my mk1/2 ,could take you a while though!

Edited by griff66

Couple of things on that link idle is more like 4-5 hundred rpm and max rpm is approx 3500 revs not 4300 rpm as stated going up the box they like to change gear between 3000 and 3500 rpm BUT ALL THIS IS A BIT OF A MUTE POINT TILL U HAVE GOT EM RUNNING !

Edited by griff66

Fun with a capital F pure and simple enjoy!!!

My suggestion would be to concentrate on just one of them, get it running and then start on the other in the winter.

If I was tempted I might make sure that the other Ferret that you do not touch has oil down the cylinder bores and is then hand cranked with the plugs out just to oil the cylinders up for its lay up. Plugs back in after you have oiled the cylinder bores.

Fuel lines and tap could be gunked up if its sat for along time without being run, even if it has been ran up I would want to change all the liquids on the vehicle for fresh.