RAF Trucks

Morris C8

These came in the post today. RAF trucks. First photo looks to be taken in the Med, see mosque in the top right. The truck towing the plane past an army camp what looks to be in the UK , but the crew dont look like british [the hats look more like from the US or from OZ or NZ in the photos. Not an expert on planes, the name on the side of the plane looks like Blotto?.

Keith

raf trucks drivers stand bye r.jpg

raf 3 tons trucks.jpg

RFC RAF on tow.jpg

RFC RAF in field with truck pg.jpg

RFC RAF truck ww1 .jpg

RFC RAF in field no wings .jpg

This is why its being towed back, must have had a forced landing ?. Thanks for the ID of the plane.

Their engines were extremely unreliable. Many DH9s had to ditch behind enemy lines because of engine failure

Keith

The RFC Leylands had a series of metal brackets mounted along the outside of the body to carry the aircraft wings. These fittings pivoted out when required for use. Interesting to note the use of wide straps to hold the wing in position on the lorry. With a fabric wing cover the cloth strap would be more effective than rope and resulting damage. A question arises therefore as to the type of fitting used to link the strap together. Could it be an early form of load binder as used in todays trucking industry?

Doug

On the Leyland towing the aircraft, the wheels are of a spoked pattern rather than the disc design. This would indicate the Leyland was used within Britain ( as per the photos) or it was a subsidy lorry. The body style is not a commercial type, but could have been rebuilt to War Dept. specifications.

Interested to see the canvas cover has been cut to fit about the side door on back. Other photos often show the cover extending over the upper section of the door.

Doug

I have been playing around with the pictures and I think the sign possibly says "Cambridgeshire graneries co."

An internet check seems to show it was near Madingley where the American war cemetery is now.

I may be all wrong of course ! So don't let me lead you in the wrong direction