Recovering from the flu

Grumpy

Dont know if its an age thing but for the second year running I have been knocked totally off my feet with a flu bug. This time I came home from work two weeks ago on the Friday went to bed and couldn't get up again till the Tuesday, I'm feeling a lot better now just a nasty cough left but I'm only just begining to get into a routine again, even managed a good nights work up the barn on the Stolly last night (its good to have some dirt under my finger nails again)

Does anyone on here have the flu jab and does it work?

Haven't had the flu for a good few years now but mum n dad are recovering from it this last couple of weeks. Dad went for the flu jab about 3-4 weeks ago...which promptly gave him flu!

When he went back to the docs a few days later complaining that he felt like death warmed up the doctor apparently said in a very blase manner... "oh yes it does that quite a lot... it (the jab) can GIVE you flu!"

I've been laid up with a crappy cold the last 3 days which is a bummer when I'm supposed to be on paternity leave... lemsip on my cornflakes :cry:

re the flu jab,....doc's right, it Can give flu like symptoms,........oh, and there are different strains of flu,........the jab is only SO good........... :whistle:

I have jab every year, as NHS worker, it pays me to get protected,..however, like Grumpy, this year I cop't a real heavy dose of something very flu like, which certainly took its time to depart.

the word 'out there', is that there is a virilent strain of something going around.

Oh, for some REALLY COLD frosty mornings,..................

Get well soon, all afflicted forum users;............ :-)

Andy

I've had the same bug and really does knock you for six. There's been a bit of an epidemic in Surrey apparently. One of the hospitals round here actually put up a sign saying if you have these symptoms go home to bed, don't bother us. The cough has been with me two weeks now. I was sent to the doc by my wife (who couldn't stand another sleepless night) he said my throat was red raw and anything could set me off coughing again, which prevented it getting any better. I've now got some cough suppressent, but I'm not sure if it's helping much.

It started wit snot and coughing, then pressure at the sinusses and head, sweating like a pig at night and dreaming strange disturbing dreams.

Not eating 2 days.

I also went downstairs to get a drink, and took a leak...but I felt faint, sat down, lay down....and woke up from unconciousness.

I was totally wet from sweating, even condans on the bathroomfloor tiles!

I didn't have strenght to go up the stairs (also very faint) so I crawled to my parents baed to sleep.

The bed (apparently) is sagging so I stuffed my back...

When I got better I got a few sessions of Jetdiarrea as a bonus.

Took me 1-2 days to get my strenght back when I was better again.....

HMMMMM the flu jab,

had it for the first time in about 1975 and i was really ill. Last year was told by the doctor that it was imperative to have it every year, last year a

had the jab all was fine.

This year completely forgot about it and i caught a stinker, squits, dizziness, fatigue, 3 week cough, temperature.

Will have it next year for sure, but as the doctor said it will not immunise you against all strains of the virus.

Ashley

Jack

Looks like we should stock-up the medicine cupboard in the clubhouse with some Lemsips, cough mix and maybe another fluffy hot water bottle. :cofee:

Could we also put up a note asking members 'to put tissues in the bin not stuff them under the cushions'.

Get well soon everyone :flower:

and good to have you back Jack :-D

Could we also put up a note asking members 'to put tissues in the bin not stuff them under the cushions'.

Well said Mrs HF and you are right - come on chaps, Mrs HF doesn't what to be clearing up after you - you are all old enought to know better!

I have the flu jab annually due to my chest condition (emphysema) and it works for me. Still get colds but nothing as debilitating as you have described, so if the option is available to you I would take it up.

I get it too because of asthma, and I do believe it helps, though like FV, I still get colds which often end up as chest infections. That's what triggered my asthma when I was 34.

These nasty little bugs seem to be on the increase, and of course, the more people you work/come into contact with, the more you get exposed to different strains. When I worked as a college technician, the students frequently brought pestilence, famine and death with them. I'm sure that Flu or the common cold is what will finally kill off mankind, it won't be a big war, terrorism, or natural disaster, just a little virus!

But I hope you get better!!!! ;-)

Steve

I get it too because of asthma, and I do believe it helps, though like FV, I still get colds which often end up as chest infections. That's what triggered my asthma when I was 34.

These nasty little bugs seem to be on the increase, and of course, the more people you work/come into contact with, the more you get exposed to different strains. When I worked as a college technician, the students frequently brought pestilence, famine and death with them. I'm sure that Flu or the common cold is what will finally kill off mankind, it won't be a big war, terrorism, or natural disaster, just a little virus!

But I hope you get better!!!! ;-)

Steve

It killed the aliens in War of the Worlds.... :yawn2: