Whats under the Sheet ?

Well another long awaited for addition to the collection has finally arrived, had a long day today with a 600 mile round trip collecting the pallet from sunny essex !

Hanno, this is the item I thought you may have an interest in .;)

Rob...................rnixartillery

Hello Rob,

You've got 'em coming in at a high rate, mate!

Before I saw morris c8 fat's spoilsport's posting, I did notice the bipod in the second picture. So yes, it probably is an 4.2" mortar.

Thanks for saving another piece of artillery and looking forward to the picture of the unwrapping.

Hanno

This is a piece I have been trying to track down for several years now,I have been following several threads on MLU over the years and it was evident the best place to look was in Australia, which I believe is where all the ex-British units ended up although in small numbers.

I am looking for any information on these Mobile Base Plates but there seems be be very little available,the original format was on 16" wheel rims the same as the ones used on the Mortar supply trailer and they were later converted onto surplus 8.25/10 6 pdr wheels.

I have been told that this type went into service at the very end of WWII but was successful in post war service.

From what I can find there is one restored example in the UK which is at Firepower, if there are any more please let me know.

I am in the process of gathering the accessories at the moment and just about have it all .The unit is complete with tube but this is under going de-ac work at present.

Another rare breed repatriated !

Rob....................rnixartillery

Edited by rnixartillery

(I know

Is it a 4.2 in Mortar produced by ROF in 42 and revived for Airborn role about 1958 and used in Kuwate in the 61 emegancy

:clap:well done that man ! :clap:

Hello Rob,

You've got 'em coming in at a high rate, mate!

Before I saw morris c8 fat's spoilsport's posting, I did notice the bipod in the second picture. So yes, it probably is an 4.2" mortar.

Thanks for saving another piece of artillery and looking forward to the picture of the unwrapping.

Hanno

'

Well I have quite a few more pieces on my wanted list but I think a couple of them could be 'pipe dreams' excuse the pun.

I have been offered two Guns recently that are very special indeed but are BIG BUCKS so unfortunately I will have to move a couple of pieces on to generate funds,storage is also getting a bit short so I am now concentrating on smaller pieces but still British Commonwealth foremost.

Rob................rnixartillery.

Just in today are the two variations of muzzle cover for the tube,both NOS but have storage marks.

I have laid out the accessories I have collected but still missing the 'Pigs tail' used to clean the tube,a colleague has them but we need to work out a trade which can become a major problem :banghead: if we dont have what the other is looking for !

Rob..................rnixartillery

Original Photos from my collection of my ex morris with the firepower gun on the back. They put the tube the wrong way round and it took ages to get out of the hall, had to have a army guy with me in case i drove out with it. There is a film on video of them used in Korea by 120 Mortar Battery 61st Light Regiment Royal Artillery Korea 1951 - 1953 towed with morris trucks. I do have a copy somewhere. The other original photo listed by rnixartillery [ 2nd from bottom brown colour] is from my collection was taken at larkhill in the 1950s

Keith

morris at woll.jpg

morris at ra. 3JPG.jpg

morris at ra 5..jpg

morris at ra. 2JPG.jpg

morris at ra 4..jpg

Edited by Morris C8

Keith,

I can see why the museum left you with a 'chaperone',I think it would be very tempting to take it home.:nono:

It is a very unusual piece of ordnance and there does not appear to be anything quite like it for size and moverbility.

The one that I have took some seriouse tracking down and I had to place a lot of trust in a guy I did not know at first but

He honoured his word and we both ended up with what we wanted.

I have been trying to dig up some history on these units and from what I know Jowett cars of Bradford built the mobile base plates and that is as far as I have got,anymore info greatly recieved.

Rob..................rnixartillery.

Hi Rob, i did know of them in Aust but they cost tooooo much.

Keith

I was offered one last year for $20,000 Au + shipping :wow: ,slightly out of my price range !

My one cost a LOT less but still enough for what you get,I could buy a 25 pdr for the same amount of money.

But as a collector its all about finding the unusual, obscure and rare pieces.

Rob.................rnixartillery.

Is that the original wheel & tyre size on the bright green one?

Gordon, the original wheel size was 16" and the rim was the same as fitted the Mortar supply trailer as shown in some of the B&W pictures,they were modified at a later date and fitted with surplus 6 pdr rims 8.25/10.

Rob................rnixartillery.