Morris C8 Found!

GeePig

Well, a photo of a Morris, at least.

some 3 decades ago, when I was still an apprentice mechanic, we had a four wheel drive Morris Commercial with a crane on the back to drag home those vehicles too heavy or too fixed into the scenery for our Landrover to deal with. It used to stand for most of the time at one end of the workshop, and was beautiful to see. Eventually, soon after I left, it was taken to a car breakers and I have never seen it since.

However, for the past 15 years I have done the occasional search of the internet to see if I could find a picture of it, and yesterday I finally found one. She is the one at the left hand end of the line up:

http://www.reflections-images.co.uk/image1.php?img_id=1251

This image dates from 1949, another 3 decades before I knew her, and presumably was taken relatively shortly after she had been converted to a breakdown vehicle. I think it is a C8, but I do not know enough to tell the difference, I only suspect that the bonnet was changed along with the other bodywork alterations to make her ready for her new life.

The garage was C Hayward & Sons, in Ashford, Kent, at the time the photo was taken, but had become Caffyns by the time I worked there.

Not bad, though, to find a photo of a specific vehicle, and I am over the moon!