Advice Request - 7T recovery vehicles for personal use

Dear All,

I am looking at taking-on a 7T recovery vehicle for transporting my green machines around UK - probably no more than a couple of thousand miles each year (if that).

Speaking with VOSA this afternoon, I understand that for the purposes of personal, show-related use, a vehicle under those circumstances does not come under the Operator Licencing Regulations although, it would require a tachograph (if operating more than a 50km radius from base) and of course, an MOT. However, the 6-week checks would not be required, nor any of the other related requirements.

The helpful lady I spoke with indicated that VOSA would be willing to confirm that interpretation in writing (and she also recommended carrying the ownership documents for my vehicles at all times so as to avoid the spot-checkers thinking I was running a business on the side :))..

My question is, has anyone else any experience with this matter, as I would really like to know what I am (potentially) getting myself into.

Thanks

Steve 82

It is as simple as you have been led to believe. An operators licence is only required for use in connection with trade or business and not simply for hire or reward as many think. You couldn't use it to move your mates works van, even as a favour, for example.

For private use, test, appropriate driving licence and tacho is all that's required.

Yep it is straightforward and all that information is on the VOSA website.

A few other observations if I may:

You will be subject to drivers hours and tacho rules which can be a bit of a faff - not a problem you just need to keep your wits about you.

I am not sure what you intend carrying but even a 7.5 tonner can get overloaded quite quickly (the one I have just sold could carry 3.6 tonnes).

The annual test is an HGV one which is more expensive than a car one and has to be done at a VOSA station or an authorised truck repair workshop (they are listed on the VOSA website). You can book on line but you have to be with the vehicle during the test (so no dropping it off before work and collecting it on the way home).

I had a little Iveco 75e15 - brilliant little truck; I did thousands and thousands of miles in it carrying all sorts of stuff - but there are plenty of other choices about. I have now bought a bigger one with a crew cab :-)

Only thing i would add is not only can they soon go overweight even if you know the vehicle you are carrying is well under run it over a level weigh bridge and do the axle wieghts individually. Front axles soon go over if vehicle is any length in wheelbase and you pull say a landrover up to head board also dont forget to sit yourself and a passenger in and have all the gear you want to carry on board . Only have to do it once costs a fiver. Save a lot of money if you do get pulled. Placing a vehicle in different places on the bed makes huge differences to individual axle weights.

There is a technical query about working hours, and rest periods. Rest is defined as time in which you can do what you want. If you have been at paid work, the day job , then drive at weekends for your own use, then are taking required rest? I don't belive any case has ever come to court, but it is something to be aware of.