Funeral

Jolly Jeeper

From Richie Puttock in The RMA Network, if anyone can spare some time in or around Pompey on the 21st next week!

DEATH OF FORMER ROYAL MARINE

I am a clergyman in Southsea and I have been asked to conduct the Burial on 21st February for Mr McConnell who was in care at Bluebell Nursing Home, Southsea.

Sadly, Mr McConnell appears to have no family, and the ceremony (graveside only, no formal Service) is being arranged by Social Services.

The Nursing home that he was with have informed me that he was a Royal Marine but he was not at the Nursing home very long so other details are scarce.

The graveside service will be held at 09.30 on the 21st Feb at Milton Cemetery, 197 Milton Road, Portsmouth. PO4 8RS.

Ladies and Gentlemen, In this day and age it is tragic enough that anyone has to leave this world with no one to mourn their passing, but this man was family and I am sure you will agree deserves a better send off. If you can make it to the graveside for that time to pay your respects to a former brother in arms then please try to be there.

Further information can be obtained by ringing the Revd Bob Mason at the address and number below.

(Revd) Bob Mason

63 Tredegar Road,

Southsea

PO4 9BJ

02392 824712

Found this on facebook, 'A small procession through the cemetery was led by Royal British Legion standard bearers followed by a group of flag-bearing motorcycles. The service concluded with two buglers from the Royal Marines Band Service playing the Last Post. The great majority of you who have come here today did not know James McConnell but wanted him to have a dignified farewell. I thank you for that kindness and generosity of spirit. – REVEREND BOB MASON Danny Marshall, a former Royal Marine, said he attended because the corps was an extended family: It was mentioned wrongly that he did not have family; the corps family is bigger and better and than most people would know about. We are all family and always will be.'

I am so glad that this chap wasn't alone on his last journey. RIP.

I just watched it via a Dutch website link.

Its a pity he was alone when he passed but he got a dignified farewell.

My eyes went misty watching the report.

In May 2000my brother and meI met a veteran (43rd Recce) and his wife durin a commemoration.

We "adopted" each other on the spot as family.

When he (Allan) died in 2002 age 77 we were lucky to get a lift by other Dutchmen to his funeral.

Now 11 years later I still phone his wido (Marjorie, 91).

She's very lonely in her appartment although her sone visits on Fridays.

She is allways so pleased to get a phonecall from her Dutch family.

Now what is my message?

Keep in contact with some one lonely, whether friend or family.

We are so busy and tend to forget.

Please take time to visit or call them, its so important.