New Project, and Matt is the only one who knows!

Jessie The Jeep

Well Jessie No1 is made from original French AND American metal ( not far eastern reproduction metal :rofl: ), and who knows whether the French steel was new or recycled, and from what ( ;-) ), but the wood for the secret project; that came from B&Q, so who knows where it grew up? :dunno:

To be truely authentic, I did look around for some packing crates to use, but couldn't find any, so B&Q was the next best thing.

Things are coming along well, and I may have some pictures for you soon.

Steve

Well Jessie No1 is made from original French AND American metal ( not far eastern reproduction metal :rofl: ), and who knows whether the French steel was new or recycled, and from what ( ;-) ), but the wood for the secret project; that came from B&Q, so who knows where it grew up? :dunno:

To be truely authentic, I did look around for some packing crates to use, but couldn't find any, so B&Q was the next best thing.

Things are coming along well, and I may have some pictures for you soon.

Steve

Packing crates???? You after making a Model T ford or something???? :-) :-) :-)

Finally time to reveal all! The picture Matt sent me was an airbase jeep that had been modified to give it a semi-hard winter enclosure. After studying a photo of the jeep I based my jeep on, it also had a similar semi-hard winter enclosure. Both examples had wooden side panels that fitted inside the existing canvas roof.

This seemed like a great way to have an authentic winter enclosure at a fraction of the price of a canvas winter kit. Hence my trip to B&Q for the ply and PSE.

The first two pictures show the right rear panel and beginings of the right door. The white colour on the rear panel is PVA to prime and seal the wood prior to painting.

1012183.jpg

1012184.jpg

Here is the right side fitted, less glazing. The rear panel rests on the top edge of the body tub and is held in place by three small bolts, one through the top of each bow, and one through the front bow holder. The door is hinged from this panel and catches on the front of the door will hold it closed.

1012187.jpg

I need to make a small panel to fit on the rear to fill the slight gap between the side and the canvas rear. This part and the door will fold flat against the rear panel so that each side can be stored flat when not in use.

1012188.jpg

This is as far as I've got. Both rear panels are made and fitted. Both doors are made and hinged. The next job is to add the glazing and the door catches.

Here's the inside view of the right side. I made the door window larger than the original to give a better view of todays frantic traffic.

1012189.jpg

and the door in the open position, which allows plenty of room to get in. The roof canvas overlaps the door and side panel so that any rain drains down the outside.

1012190.jpg

Matt, feel free to post the original photo you sent me that I based this version on.

More pics to follow once I have the glazing in and catches done.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Looks great! Can you post the pics I sent you as I'm useless at such things,I guess eventually if I tried a pic might appear,but of what is anybodies guess :oops: better you do it!

Matt.

Yes, it is very much like the 100th BG Jeep I copied the markings from. I'm convinced now that the 100th jeep also has wooden or metal sides. You can see a sharp vertical edge to the side at the rear of the jeep, suggesting strongly that it isn't canvas, and the area where the arrow is pointing doesn't show any signs of wrinkles.

Steve

Had a bit more struggle with the left door today. The left hand side of the jeep is welded on sloping inwards, and this messed up the alignment of the door in the hole and the kink in the door. I spent quite some time tweaking it to get it all to line up ok.

Now most panels have one of two coats of paint on, and all work has stopped until they harden off.

1012581.jpg

1012583.jpg

Steve

Trouble is, they are made to fit the quirkiness of this jeep, so it's not 100% sure they will fit easily to another jeep. Plus, can I really be bothered with the hastle again!!!!

Steve

I know what you mean, the rack I made for my brothers jeep did fit another Jeep but it was a lot of work!!

I hope your going to keep the Winter top on for Bolero Steve - It really looks the business and typifies the field-mods done to vehicles, particularly on British (US Occupied) aerodromes.

Why dont you put a set of bar-treads on Jessie as well? They were for sale at Stoneleigh for about £40 a corner - It will make Jessie look so much better, particularly as you have painted it in USAAF markings. I think the hard-top is an excellent idea - Very novel!

Cds