Glue

Adrian Scott

Question

14 answers to this question

Can any one recomend a glue or bonding agent to stick rubber to metal .I want to stick a rubber donut to a fan drive on a engine .

Thanks Adrian.

That sounds like something that might be under some load, would it do damage if it came unstuck? There is one product that I have used for bump stop rubbers years ago and it is from the Belzona range, cannot remember the product details but it was two sachets that you mix together. Surface preparation is critical on both surfaces and probably needs clamping until its cured. I will see if I can find the technical literature.

regards, Richard

... it is from the Belzona range, cannot remember the product details but it was two sachets that you mix together. ...

Richard, Belzona LIQUID RUBBER. Used it for pretty much everything rubber-related except as a very thin bonding layer, but don't see why it wouldn't work. Probably the tech info will reveal suitability.

Richard, Belzona LIQUID RUBBER. Used it for pretty much everything rubber-related except as a very thin bonding layer, but don't see why it wouldn't work. Probably the tech info will reveal suitability.

Adrian,

Cannot lay my hands on the technical folder at the moment, but think this link will show that it is a serious proffesional answer to your problem;http://www.belzona.com/ViewFile.aspx?docType=Product%20Flyer&product=2211&language=UK

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant
added the web link correctly

OK, OK - so it's not called LIQUID RUBBER any more. Guess my stock is out of date yet again (last lot I chucked out was 6 yrs old with a shelf life of months.....).

Tony,

I have a box of their products that is 20 years old now ........... well only a bit of it left, but the sachets are still OK when opened although you waste what is left over quite often. It came from a sponsorship deal from them for a motor rally and they sent a rep down to demonstrate their products, I had already been using it and very impressed with the uses it has in heavy industry.

Adrian, Without doubt I'd recommend Sikaflex...more specifically Sikaflex 291, It's a flexible adhesive like a silicone mastic, but it's not silicone, it's polyurathane (sp?).

We use it a lot in the boat yard, it will stick most things to most things with a rubber like beading, we use it predominantly to re bed keels on to boats, which admitedly have bolts too, but saying that when we remove keels, those bedded with Sikaflex will hold in place even when the bolts have been removed. It has been known for the fibreglass of a boat hull to give up before the Sikaflex does :shocked:

I took the time this morning (late start ) to ring Locktite direct and spoke to there tecnical dept , they were most helpful and recommended there product ,Locktite 480 , and even gave me there local supplyers name and number .After reading the tec data it does seem to fit the bill .

A big thanks for every ones input and advice ,

Regards Adrian.

Where I used to work we used one of the the black toughened Loctite adhesives ( I can't recall which number ) to re-attach the rubber / synthetic rubber part of anti-vibration mounts to the metal of the mount when the original bonding failed. Failures were normally as a result of dropping or bad / rough handling e.g unit packed in a box on it's side so sheer stresses.

We never had a repaired one fail again.

It was also very useful for various 'foreigner' repairs that normal superglue couldn't handle.

How long lasting it would be on a rotating assembly with constant sheer stress and vibration is a question I can not answer.

If you do go for this wear disposable gloves as if you get in on your hands, or indeed any skin, it will be there for days.