George ALexander

blazerman

Its with great sadness to say that i had a call from my ex wife Elaine to say her father George had passed away in the night .i am sure there has to be many members on this forum who remember George from the dorset area mvcg/mvt going right back to the early days i first met george on the first jersey tour when i was eight i am 45 now!! . Our thoughts go to his wife Anne and daughters Erica an Elaine and son stuart .

Sorry to hear that he was certainly a leading light in the Dorset MVCG. I didn't know him very well but none the less he was ready to help out in times of trouble.

George is on the left in the white T shirt by the door of my Shorland. An embarrassing incident 25 years ago when a wheel came of my Shorland at the Bere Regis roundabout near Bovington. George came up him Dick Shepperd (on right with cap) in Dick's wrecker.

I think George had quite a fleet of staff cars, Plymouths? But I had not seem him or his collection for some years.

27BT6827.jpg

George was a big name in the movement when our family first became involved in the late 1980's and he was extremely well-known and respected for his knowledge of military vehicles of the period. Our first association with him was when he organised all the WWII MV's for the centennial commemorations of Dwight D Eisenhower's birth - An event which took place at USAF Greenham Common, Newbury, Berks in the summer of 1989. A large contingent of Dorset Area's vehicles journeyed up to attended the event headed by George and his two gleaming staff cars.

When we did our first 'Red Ball Express' convoy in 1990, he admirably supported the event with his two Dodge Carryall's and I used to enjoy conversations with him at the various shows, where he would always have a luxurious caravan and huge awning set back behind his vehicle display. I well remember looking at his quality set-up with envy as I would return to sleep on a british army camp bed in the back of my Dad's cold and draughty GMC !

His knowledge of all wartime US Staff Cars was unrivaled and the hobbie has certainly lost one of its founding fathers.

Sorry to hear about George.

I bought my Austin K9 off him back in 1985, we did a good deal, as he drove it half way up the country and we drove it home from Towcester. Always remember him as a nice guy to do business with.

A great loss to the movement.

R.I.P. George.

I knew George for many years. He was one of the Nicest People I had the pleasure of bumping into. When I first got into the MV scene during the eighties. I was stationed in Warminster, & used to drive down to the Monthly MVCG Meetings held in a former pub used by wartime Fighter pilots. Great days & great times. He & his sidekick Eddy Spink were always full of interesting Info, & always ready to help. All the Dorset Area Crowd were nice people & always very friendly. A great Man, & a great loss to the Movement, Like the Late Chris Davis.

My thoughts go out to His Family. Im convinced he will be driving 'Big 'G' around amongst the clouds, in a US Staff Car!...

R.I.P George.