Butchering vehicles for air transport

N.O.S.

Looks like a Curtis Commando from the tail fin.

The Bedford QLW tipper was airportable, the body was split down the middle and the chassis could be disected. I do have the instruction booklet on the procedure. One must assume it was done to fit a C47 and as it appears to be a late war idea, probably intended for the Far East as the outcome of that theatre was not to be known at the time.

In much later years i have come across Muir Hill A5000 LWT having had their cabs literally slashed off at waist height with a disc cutter and the rough edge covered with a bit of rubber trim, so nothing new. These were from a Parachute Engineer Sqn. of RE.

..............In much later years i have come across Muir Hill A5000 LWT having had their cabs literally slashed off at waist height with a disc cutter and the rough edge covered with a bit of rubber trim, so nothing new. These were from a Parachute Engineer Sqn. of RE.

Using a disc cutter like that would be typical of the 9 Sqn hooligans. The more educated units would unbolt the thing properly, it only took half hour or so.

Hi NOS,

not sure what the body in the second photo is, but I dont think it's a Chevy 1 1/2 tonner; the underbody detail looks different as well as practically no 'side steps' for want of a better description.

Really interseting photos none the less!