Berliet Wrecker in British Army service

Hi Jules,

You will see the Alvis badge on the front. Alvis and Berliet were at the time going in to an exchange agreement regarding these trucks and the Stalwart. It may be this wrecker was on user trials as part of this, with Alvis seeking orders from our army. The ARN seems to indicate it as in-service, but that did happen in other cases of trials.

Many years back I picked up something for that truck. I don't think it was a manual - I think is was a sales brochure of some kind - I will still have it somewhere but no idea where.

An Alvis and Berliet joint venture of some kind as Richard said, from what I remember

Interesting photos. The 'D' sign mounted on top of the cab is the standard illuminated French 'Dépannage' (breakdown/recovery) sign carried by all wreckers and heavy haulage trucks. I've not seen this on French military vehicles, so could it have been French civvy registered before being transferred to Alvis? Had it been operating somewhere that French rules of the road applied?

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike

As Richard says, I, too, have only heard that two were supplied. It/they were sold off from Ruddington; one was seen heading north up the M1 shortly afterwards, which may have been the one bought by Pasturefields recovery services in Leicester. they re-cabbed it, I believe.

The Alvis/Berliet marketing agreement extended to the Stalwart too and attempts were made to sell it in France under the name of 'Auroch'( ancient wild cattle--potentially translated as Oxen, strong/strength!)

Mike.

As Richard says, I, too, have only heard that two were supplied. It/they were sold off from Ruddington; one was seen heading north up the M1 shortly afterwards, which may have been the one bought by Pasturefields recovery services in Leicester. they re-cabbed it, I believe.

The Alvis/Berliet marketing agreement extended to the Stalwart too and attempts were made to sell it in France under the name of 'Auroch'( ancient wild cattle--potentially translated as Oxen, strong/strength!)

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Berliet tried to sell the French military the Stalwart, to replace their DUKW's, but without success. I read somewhere that the trials vehicle is in a museum in France.

I have a memory of seeing one of these in about 1985 parked up on an industrial estate on the old airfield at Hixon, just north of Stafford. Used to go their on Sundays to learn to drive, though I don`t know if it was a Berliet or an Alvis' just remember it being a lot bigger than the 1.1 Fiesta I was in.