Bedford QL'S

JEMIMA

Just getting into ww2 British Trucks after many years with American,and got myself a very nice QLR......questions....

1) In 1997 - Robert Coates in his book "Bedofrd to Berlin" stated that there were 47 QL's of various types in conservation in the uk......anyone know or like to guess how many today ? - Ive often wondered with regards numbers of various vehicles - there seems hundreds and hundreds of jeeps....but how many? - and how many are Hotchkis ?

2) I know that the Reme have modified a few QL's and that they were able to tick along at 50 mph quite happy - Any ideas how you un-govern a QL? - did they change axel ratios or was it just a simple carb fix like the GMC ?

3) - Does anyone know of a register or similar club for QL owners? - somewhere to exchange knowlade and tips etc....

Any info at all on the QL/QLR greatly recieved.

Edited by JEMIMA

In answer to your first question on QL's if you check out the Bedford QL gallery here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?26331-WW2-BEDFORD-QL-Gallery&highlight=bedford you will be able to see quite a few examples that still exist in the UK. In fact I uploaded 15 photo's of vehicles from the past three years from throughout the UK that are no doubt still around.

Also it would be great to see some pictures of your QLR, it may have already been pictured though in the above thread.

Scott

Thanks for the quick reply ! - less than 30 mins after posting ! - the first two pictures - DSV 847 (L560114) are my new aquisition !

I would love to know how many of them are around now - but would love to know totals for all the vehicles we restore and exhibit.....

Thanks again

Andy

Thanks for the quick reply ! - less than 30 mins after posting ! - the first two pictures - DSV 847 (L560114) are my new aquisition !

I would love to know how many of them are around now - but would love to know totals for all the vehicles we restore and exhibit.....

Thanks again

Andy

Not a problem. This is one which I have been unable to photograph before. Was this the one which was for sale on milweb?

I'm sure someone will be along in due course to answer your other questions.

Scott

No - the one on Milweb was up in Surrey for £12000, i was due to buy it but was gazumped ! - it was a very tidy truck,albeit a camper conversion ,but a very good one - long story,but good outcome for me as ive brought a better one i feel ! - This one will be restored to its orriginal war-time role with all the interior as it was....pictures to follow as and when its completed !

I'd have thought the only way a QL would do 50mph, is dropping of a cliff! :D Wouldn't fancy trying to stop it at that speed. Some were converted post war for various office vehicles the last time I know of one in service was about 1970 doing a recruitment tour. That vehicle started life as a QLR, kitted as a Y Service interceptor, then was converted to Office Body in 1950's (Will check exact date tommorow) and went back as a Pay Corp vehicle.

Might like this.

Actually, you can check the date yourself can't you?:red:

Top.jpg

Edited by Tony B

In answer to your first question on QL's if you check out the Bedford QL gallery here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?26331-WW2-BEDFORD-QL-Gallery&highlight=bedford you will be able to see quite a few examples that still exist in the UK. In fact I uploaded 15 photo's of vehicles from the past three years from throughout the UK that are no doubt still around.

Also it would be great to see some pictures of your QLR, it may have already been pictured though in the above thread.

Scott

They are!:-D

:-D

Just getting into ww2 British Trucks after many years with American,and got myself a very nice QLR......questions....

2) I know that the Reme have modified a few QL's and that they were able to tick along at 50 mph quite happy - Any ideas how you un-govern a QL? - did they change axel ratios or was it just a simple carb fix like the GMC ?

Any info at all on the QL/QLR greatly recieved.

andy.kyte@bt.com

Seem to remember from my Bedford QL days the carb governor can be adjusted by changing the spring tension on the governor unit

Thanks - i figured it might be a good starting point - the GMC had a similar way of reducing speed / power by using an additional section between the carb and the inlet manifold - this was "adjusted" by the drivers and inspected by the authorites to look for evidence of tampering !

Hi Andy,

On new carbs for QL's the governer is set for about 40mph in top gear. It is best to set it up a bit otherwise it restricts your hill climbing in lower gears. Mine would bowl along at a steady 40, but would not go higher as engine revs are getting up then and it is 70 years old. The speed limit for lorries on normal roads is 40 and it will keep up with them, although hills bring you down a bit. Axle ratios would not have been altered, the axle is unique to the QL, so no alternatives that I am aware of.

You will enjoy driving it, a great lorry, had mine for 25 years now.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply - i totally agree with what your saying - the faster you go the more strain etc on transmission and of course the more stoping power.....iwas just curious as after speaking with Richard Beddall regarding an old QLR of his that came up for sale recently - he informed me that it was by far the most pririted of all the 9 or so Qls he had owned and was good to cruise at 50 - thisafter the reme had been tinkering.....i was curious as to what the reme had done - short of some war-time nitro -kit or adapting a v rockets booster system......

Sounds like with all your years of knowladge of Qls...you would be a good man to keep in touch with - do you mind if i give you my private e-mail address - XXXXXXX- many thanks Richard !

Edited by N.O.S.

Ha Ha ! - Well the old Girl is moving South anytime soon,but will still be displayed here and in France at every oppertunity !She will be given lots of TLC and will have a good home i can assure you !

Phils a really decent bloke and although of course im really exited and pleased with my aqqusition - i do feel im taking away his "true love" by doing so......He has such a passion and knowladge of the old girl - i doo feel slightly humbled to be her new owner !

Thats really nice to hear.....Phil need not have any concerns ! - i will give you all on the forum regular updates of her restoration and completion....

Ive been collecting and Restoring Military Vehicles for over 25yrs now,i dont believe in "buying an ivestment" nor parking up in orderly rows like a Military Car Park -Im not going to try and take any credit for the way vehicles are displayed now - but i will say that displays of vehicles nowadays are so much better than they were 10 yrs ago - so many people now are displaying kit,equipment and researching the history of their vehicles - its so much better for the public and gives i feel a lot more pride in vehicle ownership.....

i love to display the vehicles as a diarahma and give as much of an incite and history ....I already have some great ideas for displaying her !

Thanks for your support !

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply - i totally agree with what your saying - the faster you go the more strain etc on transmission and of course the more stoping power.....iwas just curious as after speaking with Richard Beddall regarding an old QLR of his that came up for sale recently - he informed me that it was by far the most pririted of all the 9 or so Qls he had owned and was good to cruise at 50 -

Hi Andy,

No problem, I have noted your email address. You may want to remove it from your post now otherwise the spammers might latch on to it !

I wonder if Richard Beddall has a speedo like mine ;) ...... it was brand new out of the box, correct part number but reads about 5mph too fast. I have steamed along at about 45 on the rare occasions of having to use a bit of motorway, but as a rule I avoid that as you have to push them harder than they were intended. Bearing in mind when they were designed the speed limit for lorries was 20mph. Most enjoyable drive is cross country avoiding trunk routes.

regards,

Richard

Many Thanks - And thanks to all who have joined this discussion.........So how many QLS Are we going to guess are still surviving?- or any other numbers of vehicles ? - someone,somewhere must have a good educated guess or be in the know......

Thanks Dan,I only know of 2 others - both QLR's one is a very shiney green one and lives in Surrey - the other was recently sold from Surrey and now resides in Hereford.....Im told there is also one being restored nearby after an accident on the motorway in which it also suffered fire damage...but am not sure what type that is......

There is also a qld for sale up in the borders region and Dave Crouch has a QLR / Command Body for sale - so its looking like less than 50 in total of all variants ?