Unusual Karrier sold at auction needs saving from scrap

Ed Batchelor

Saw this Karrier sold at the weekend, looked pretty complete, had 6 cylinder petrol engine and a neat little winch under the back. Didnt look like it would have been a difficult restoration. Sadly I think it was sold to the scrap dealers but I did get a contact number which I can pass on to anyone seriously interested in saving it.

I've not seen one like it before so I imagine its a bit rarer than QL's etc.

Would be interested to here any more info on it.

SDC15962.jpg

SDC15963.jpg

SDC15964.jpg

SDC15966.jpg

SDC15968.jpg

SDC15969.jpg

SDC15970.jpg

SDC15972.JPG

SDC15974.jpg

SDC15975.jpg

SDC15978.jpg

• 1 month later...

You may all be happy to know that the truck is safe. It is sitting on my drive. I don't plan to start restoring it until next year as I have a jeep to finish first.

I would be interested to know the whereabouts of other Karrier K6's so that I can compare notes.

Les.

1943 Humber MkIIIA LRC

1943 Humber MkIV Armoured Car

1943 Willys MB

2 x 10cwt Trailer 4.2" Mortar

? Karrier K6

You may all be happy to know that the truck is safe. It is sitting on my drive. I don't plan to start restoring it until next year as I have a jeep to finish first.

I would be interested to know the whereabouts of other Karrier K6's so that I can compare notes.

Les.

Pheww! well done that man ! :-)

• Like 1

Neil had parts from a Karrier being broken 10 years+ ago for his Humber MkIV. Apart from the engine; the axles, gearbox and transfer box may be the same. Not sure about the gearing though. I think that it is too good to use for parts and I've always fancied a truck from the same stable.

It is amazingly original with all its data plates (although some are illegible), remains of the seat cushions etc. It is missing the radiator brush guard, tailgate, canvas hoops etc.

I am trying to find the whereabouts of other surviving K6s to crawl over and take measurements and photographs. Hopefully someone on here can point me in the right direction.

There seems to be variations between the wooden and steel bodied versions and also differences in the windscreens. I don't know how many still exist but I have found pictures on the net of only 5 other vehicles.

Les.

Neil had parts from a Karrier being broken 10 years+ ago for his Humber MkIV. Apart from the engine; the axles, gearbox and transfer box may be the same. Not sure about the gearing though. I think that it is too good to use for parts and I've always fancied a truck from the same stable.

It is amazingly original with all its data plates (although some are illegible), remains of the seat cushions etc. It is missing the radiator brush guard, tailgate, canvas hoops etc.

I am trying to find the whereabouts of other surviving K6s to crawl over and take measurements and photographs. Hopefully someone on here can point me in the right direction.

There seems to be variations between the wooden and steel bodied versions and also differences in the windscreens. I don't know how many still exist but I have found pictures on the net of only 5 other vehicles.

Les.

I did not mean that it would be useful for spares, more that it would be easy to work on if you are already familiar with the workings of a HAC. There have been a few in preservation over the years. Used to be a nice one that came from Harwich, think there is another one around with a Perkins P6 transplant. Seem to think the Bernard Venners had one once.

Seem to think the Bernard Venners had one once.

Your memory serves you right Richard, Bernard had one for many years, did at least one trip to Normandy and may have done more. I seem to remember that he sold the truck some years ago, I'm seeing someone at the weekend who may know what happened to it ;)...I'll ask.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

• 9 months later...

Les.

1943 Humber MkIIIA LRC

1943 Humber MkIV Armoured Car

1943 Willys MB

2 x 10cwt Trailer 4.2" Mortar

? Karrier K6[/quote I have a karrier k6 on eBay at the moment on eBay and it does have the radiator... Feel free to email me on [email=spanna@ymail.com]spanna@ymail.com[/email] cheers.... Also have a guy quad ant for sale...

• 3 years later...

Guys,

Bernard Venners Karrier K6 still lives near Reading and is now owned by Marion, his widow, who has it running and driving in the field at the back of her property. I like Pete thought it had been sold many years ago, but it was hidden away.

Good luck with what looks to be an interesting restoration.

Regards

Keith

• 3 years later...

Hi used to drive the K4 at top this page when it was a breakdown truck for a company in Leamington Spa in the 1970,s.

From memory it was brought at from a ex army auction at Ruddington prior to me joining the company, who then converted it to a breakdown truck hence the the channel irons front and rear for towing, and flashing lights to roof.

Last time i saw it untill now was  around 1979 parked in a bay of the old workshop awaiting its fate.

having been replaced by an ex blue circle cement, leyland commet as the company breakdown truck 

Would be interested to if it is still around

• Like 2