Pickpockets at W&P

LarryH57

I recently met up with a mate who was at W&P who told me that pickpockets had been at work this year at the 2012 show.

This was the first I had heard about the problem as I was there too - but I wanted to warn others in case it becomes a regular thing at W&P or other MV shows.

They worked in amoung the crowds, in the stalls area or near the arena and used a stanley type knife to quietly slash pockets and extract wallets without the owners knowing. They targeted not only wallets in back pockets but also those on the legs as found in many combat and lightweight trousers.

It seems they worked in pairs with one as the slasher and the other with a black rucksack to quickly take the wallet away and have the appearance of being nothing to do with the wallet lifter.

Usually the victims feel nothing, while others though that they had been knocked or lightly pushed as you might innocently be in a crowd. Some victims found they were cut but did not feel the act or theft at the time!

It could well be they came over to the UK for the Olympics and started out at W&P before going on to other opportunities and I don't want to suggest it is a W&P problem only as anyone who knows Oxford Street in London will appreciate.

It seems that those who reported thefts at W&P lost in total about £12,000 and as we all know there will be others who did not report the matter to the Police.

What makes shows like this such a good opportunity is that many of us from home and abroad, come with a wad of cash for the week and carry much more that we would normally take to do Saturday shopping.

Sadly there is not much of a description of the thieves except they wore combat clothing but not like a re-enactor just in a casual way, darkish appearance, dark hair and with black rucksack or bag.

I hope this helps prevent more losses.

God help the thieves if they are ever caught in the act!

Edited by LarryH57

'Lost' my wallet there 3 years ago, over £600 cash inside and cards, cancelled the cards then the Police contacted me as they had found the wallet less cash of course. icon9.png

I hadn't reported it to the Police as I thought I had just lost it out of my pocket somewhere on site.

Had all my cards back but couldn't get any money as I had cancelled them!

It then showed who your friends are as two of the Traders immediately gave me cash to keep me going and kept checking the rest of the week to make sure I had enough!!

The Police informed me that it would have been 'picked' as they always operate at the show. Apparently they walk in on the public footpath running through the site and help themselves.

So always be on guard .

My advice is to get a 'down yer trousers' type wallet with a chain and divide up your cash and cards so that it doesn't all go in one go!

Incidentally I also heard that a few tents had been slashed to see what was 'available'.

Who ever is responsible and where they come from I don't know - but its not a good advert for the UK for our MV friends who come to W&P from all over Europe - so let them know in advance!

Many different ways to potentially put off an offender. Wallet on a chain is indeed a good choice, as is splitting up your cash. Cards fit nicely into caps and hats and also shirt pockets of military uniforms (for those of us in uniform). There are a variety of money belts that go around your waste, thigh and boot..

Ahh the days of baiting pickpockets with a fake wallet and a dye capsule...

Incidentally I also heard that a few tents had been slashed to see what was 'available'.

Who ever is responsible and where they come from I don't know - but its not a good advert for the UK for our MV friends who come to W&P from all over Europe - so let them know in advance!

have had that problem at the land-rover show at Northampton. last night we loaded up and i sat outside to prevent theft.

they slashed tents, robbed the neighbors kids from their bikes and my ale.

in the end i decided to check a show that costs a lot more in fuel to get there.

now it is happening there too. shame

• 2 months later...

Sadly, it's happening everywhere, not just w+p. they target boot sales as well.

We must be vigilant at all shows we attend.

I would like to see show organisers putting signs up warning people, and extra security.

From my experience of driving londons buses, if you do catch a pickpocket, be very careful, they normally work in groups, and will stab you as soon as look at you.

A few years back I mislaid my camera, a nice one at that. My wife said that it was unlikely I would see it again. I said no, I'll go and get it from lost property, its that kind of show, with the right kind of people . I was right.

Perhaps no longer. Such a shame that a tiny number of people ruin so much for so many. Locking them up in HMP Ritz seems to be more like a reward.