WW2 British trailer white convoy plate / light

Ian L

Hi guys my WW2 trailer has this metal plate bolted under the body above the axle, should it be painted white or do you think there should be another plate there aswell ?

I know about the convoy switch & junction box but what are the remains of the other 2 items ? lights ? if so what do they look like ?

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Hi Ian, it looks me as the standart convoy light (axle flood lamp) the same as by the seller with airborne jeeps parts. I don´t know why do you have there the second one bracked for the lamp.

My sugestion is that the white plate is similer as on the airborne trailer or any anothers british ww2 trrailers.

Hi Ian, it looks me as the standart convoy light (axle flood lamp) the same as by the seller with airborne jeeps parts. I don´t know why do you have there the second one bracked for the lamp.

My sugestion is that the white plate is similer as on the airborne trailer or any anothers british ww2 trrailers.

Hi Radek do you know what the second light should look like ? the one with the screw thread.

Edited by Ian L

Ian I think what you have there is the remains of a pair of rear facing lamps. One tail and one stop. For blackout purposes the switch would turn the tail-lamps out and illuminate the axle flood-lamp which would be sited facing forward and aimed at a white plate mounted on the axle.

Here is lamps that I fitted to my Tilly. A Butler flood-lamp (in box) and a stop or tail lamp. Ron

Tilly 09 042.jpg

Edited by Ron

Ian I think what you have there is the remains of a pair of rear facing lamps. One tail and one stop. For blackout purposes the switch would turn the tail-lamps out and illuminate the axle flood-lamp which would be sited facing forward and aimed at a white plate mounted on the axle.

Here is lamps that I fitted to my Tilly. A Butler flood-lamp (in box) and a stop or tail lamp. Ron

Hi Ron stop light sounds possible but I wasnt aware that British vehicles/trailers had them fitted in WW2 ?

I already have 3 of the Axle flood lights so I'm ok with them but I need 3 of the small rear lights like the one in your photo if you can help there ?

I also need a photo of the screw thread light if poss ?

Ian the early contracts of Austin Tilly's had a brake lamp fitted along side the tail lamp in the oval hole under the rear tail gate. However by the time my Tilly was built, the stop lamp was deleted. So yes at least some WW2 vehicles had stop lamps. I couldn't give you chapter and verse though.

Sorry I can't help with the lamps but I think Adrian Barrel had some. Ron

Tilly 09 041.jpg

• 4 months later...

The light you are looking for is the same as I have on my Ford WOT2. It is a rear light with a red plastic lens in a metal case that screws on. I will find a photo and put on here. It is the wartime version as post-war they have a window added for a number plate. They do crop up at shows and autojumbles, so just keep looking.

• 7 years later...
On 8/27/2012 at 1:16 PM, Ian L said:

Hi guys my WW2 trailer has this metal plate bolted under the body above the axle, should it be painted white or do you think there should be another plate there aswell ?

I know about the convoy switch & junction box but what are the remains of the other 2 items ? lights ? if so what do they look like ?

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Why is IT 2 pins for the bulb? Any spesial bulb ?

The bulbs are single filament with two contacts as the trailer is not earthed and all bulbs need a feed in and a contact out, back to earth.

The British trailer socket/plug is also two contacts only so the lead between truck and trailer is again just live and earth only. One side of the trailer socket is earthed to the vehicle

Edited by simon king
Added info