MK3 Morris quad beatle back

Catch 22 LBDR

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, lovely job.

Just a little observation, your fan belt looks tight. The manual says something like you should be able to hold the belt together between the top & bottom pulleys and have a gap of one and a quarter inches or thereabouts. Just check the manual to be sure. It seems awfully slack but that's right.

Keep up the good work.

Jerry

Your almost right Jerry. The book says " Correct tension is obtained when the fan belt can be depressed with thumb and fingers to 1 3/4 at the centre midway between the two pulleys" My belt is far too tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to go off on a slight tangent now.

I have bean spending the last 12-18 months brokering a deal in Australia for some 18 Pdr limber parts and the deal has finally matured. The parts have arrived at my friends house in Australia today. They are still a long way from home but should be hear by the end of the summer. I would say its about 75% complete but once finished the Quad will have a nice rare limber to pull around.

11256477_10203196099257129_1948134060_n.jpg

11262934_10203196100697165_1078474117_n.jpg

11267632_10203196099777142_22873673_n.jpg

Nice! :cheesy:

I assume from what I can see that this has at least most of the conversion kit so you can tow it, though it looks like it needs a little bit of love and care!

trevor

It has most of the parts. I know it needs wheels and a hitch for the gun and I am sure there will be more. But its a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a bit of a setback with the engine. When I topped it up with coolant it sprang more leeks than a German U Boot. All but one have now bean cured. The water pump.

Does anyone know where I might locate NOS parts to overhaul the water pump, or even a replacement pump?

I need the carbon seal(X.25507), the felt washer(QA.11020) and the main shaft( V.1795).

Or the complete water pump (V.16700)

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR

great thread :) I see you got the limber from Australia. I saw a couple of derelict Quads while I was over there on holiday last year in some village about 3 hours north of Perth, dread to think of the import casts :/ looking forward to seeing it completed :)

great thread :) I see you got the limber from Australia. I saw a couple of derelict Quads while I was over there on holiday last year in some village about 3 hours north of Perth, dread to think of the import casts :/ looking forward to seeing it completed :)

Looking forward to that day myself. Landed on my feet as regards shipping, I have a friend who lives there and is moving to Ireland for a few years. She has kept me some space in her container for the parts. Sweet!!

I got this email back from a company called EP Services. I thought some readers might be interested in this.

"Hi Ross,

It is a unit that we know quite well.

The original seal used in this pump is a type that is driven by a small peg that goes through the spindle and locates inside a slot in the seal unit.

This drive peg always seemed to cause premature seal failure in this seal design, because the slot for the drive peg wears away and loses its drive. We replace this seal design with a unitised carbon faced seal that is a tight drive fit on the spindle. This not only seals water in the main housing but also seals water from leaking though the spindle and is has a much more efficient drive.

We have used this type of seal for many years with outstanding success. It does need to have the boss on the impellor machined down though to ensure that the correct seal tension is maintained.

The cost to fully service your unit is £65.00 including new gasket and full guarantee. 2 to 3 days turnaround.

From past experience with pumps sent to the Republic, the UPS Parcel charge is usually around £30/35 for a two day tracked delivery service.

Superb job you've done on that engine by the way, looks amazing!!

Hope we can help with your pump."

That seems to be a company that knows what they are about. If the pump is reworked and proves OK, might be worth posting that company contact details here.

I thought so too, and I also thought it was very reasonably priced. I am putting the pump in the post on Monday.

sorry off on a slight tangent ! what's the external dimensions of the Quad? will it fit in a normal garage and can you drive it with a car licence?

Length 14ft 8 3/4in

Width 7ft 5in

Height 7ft 9in

At nearly 8ft tall I don't think it would fit in a car garage.

Weight of the C8 FAT without crew and spare wheel, but with oil.petrol,water and manufactures' tools; 3t 8c 1q 5lb I dont know what that is in new money.

Depending on the country you live will depend on if you can drive it on a car licence. Do a search for this on other threads, I am sure it has bean covered.