MK3 Morris quad beatle back

Catch 22 LBDR

Had an interesting day in the Irish Army Archive today.

I have confirmed that its reg was ZD 3178.

It is listed as being purchased in 1942 and being struck off on the 23rd of April 1969.

Its Army Number is 1633.

She spent the war years in an air-defence Bty and the last of its service life in 6 Field Artillery Regt F.C.A. (reserve). Its unclear when it moved units but there was a major structuring of the Army in 1946.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Re painted the wheels and painted the front body frame work. I am Wattling for the dash panel to come back from the welder, it's too light for me to repair. I will put the wheels back on it next week and hopeful fit the dash and floor panel's too. I should have some more pictures up hear soon:D

Hi Guys. Can any one help me out with some pictures of the clocks in the dash. I am trying to source the correct clocks but more often than not I need a visual comparison to compare to.

Speedomoter head, Smiths "FA" non-trip, back drive.

Oil pressure Gauge. Smiths X.20847 "Pointer" or Tomey's "Eureka".

Ammeter. Lucas BM type L

Thanks Ross

I put the wheels back on today. I also assembled and fitted the Brake master cylinder.

I got the master cylinder repair kit on ebay. Mixed feelings about the kit. It was listed as a C8 compatible part and it came from south America. It came a lot faster than I had expected (about 10 days) and it included the piston. However the "stop" washer and circlip were very flimsy and were too small so I had to reuse the old washer and get a new circlip for it. It also came with an extra rubber washer that I have know idea what it is for. It was about 4mm thick and the same diameter as the bore of the cylinder and it had a small hole in the centre, about 3 or 4mm. I can only guess that the kit can also be used in other cylinders and that is what the part is for. I didn't fit it on my one so I hope it stops! :nut:

Does any one have a spare banjo bolt for the back of the master cylinder, I am also missing the drain bung, also on the back of the cylinder?

battery went flat on the phone so no pictures this week. :computerrage:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Things are starting to move again for the Quad.:D. Have some channels being folded for the rest of the body framework, picking them up tomorrow.

The engine came back sandblasted but has two small holes to be patched in the sump. I have bean slowly gathering up parts to rebuild it. I have taken the head off and inspected the cylinders. A good Polish with a hone should see them right again. Will fit new rings and valve springs. Some of the valves look a bit ropey so I will probably replace them too. The starter has bean rebuilt and the dynamo was tested and is working fine. I also picked up a speedo gauge but am still on the look out for other guages.

I have some brake pipes being made up too.

The plan this winter is to have the Quad stopping, starting and running and to finish off the framework by the start of next years show season. First outing will be in May so about 7 months to get the work done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry no pictures today. I have finished fitting and painting the left side floor and I started on the right side too. I also got a box of shiny bits in the post that included new rubber brake pipes and joints, so I fitted all four pipes to the vehicle. I still need ti remake the copper brake pipes but it's getting there.

I also started to strip the engine down. Took the head off and spent hours removing one of the spark plugs that was very badly rusted. The cylinders look and feel good. The box of bits included new rings and 4 new valves ans valve springs.

Pictures to follow :-D

Finished fitting/replacing all the brake pipes, and got a bung to fit the back of the master cylinder. The front left rubber hose looks a little short, not sure if I should replace it with a longer one yet. All I need to do now is fill it up, bleed it and fit the return spring.

Question: Does anyone know where?how to fit the return spring, the picture/drawing that I have makes it look like the spring goes straight into the cleaves pin in place of the split pin. doesn’t seam right. any ideas?

In the drawing in the driver's handbook it looks like the spring goes through a hole in the big end of the clevis pin rather than through the split pin hole at the other end.

I'm blowed if I can remember how I set it up on the C9B but I think I used the split pin hole. I must have a look and change it if I did because it's not the most failsafe setup.

C8 C9 Handbook p.67.jpg

Hi Ivor, I have reused the old clevis pin but there is not enough length in the pin to allow anything to fit on it with the split pin. I thought of making something out of a penny washer by drilling a second hole in it for the spring but it doesn't fit. Is it possible it goes on somewhere else?

• 2 weeks later...