MK3 Morris quad beatle back

Catch 22 LBDR

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having much luck finding out any information. Have fired off a good few emails to different organisations and museum's. but no joy. I knew it would be difficult. :beatenup:

Someone said to try out these two books, I know they are wartime ones but maybe worth a try. “Formation Badges of World War 2” and “British Military Markings1939-45” by Hodges. If anyone has the books could you take a look for me. I dont fancy forking out for two books that may or may not hold any answers. :thanx:

Some more progress this week, Fitted the cog box, front prop shaft and the winch drive shaft. I know the gearbox is the wrong colour, I did this on purpose. The body will be rebuilt in situ and will need to be spray panted as I go, this way I don't need to worry about the over spray getting onto the box.

Photo0505.jpg

Photo0506.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
That's great Ivor, Do you know anything about the 72nd, I couldn't find anything post war. Where were they based etc.

Hi Catch22

Your correspondents are looking in references rather too modern! Me, I'm only a modeller, but two of my valuable books are 'Heraldry in War' and 'Badges on Battledress' by Lt Col Howard N Cole. He has published at least one more book since those two which were in 1946 and 1953 respectively.

Anyway, enough history. Badges on Battledress states: 72 British (no Indian units, see) Brigade Group was formed in 1946 when the 36th Division was disbanded. 72 Bde, which prior to its incorporation in the Division had as its sign a red circle on a square black background, did not, however, revert to this badge, but adopted the central part of the 36 Div sign (which was two interlocking circles, left one red, right one white, on a black rectangle) - the interlocking part of the two circles. This design in yellow was set on a blue shield with a narrow yellow border (just as, with a little allowance for artistic licence, you see above). The formation was stationed in Bangalore and was composed of Ist Battalion the Essex Regiment, 2nd Bn the Leicestershire Regt, 2nd Bn the Manchester Regiment and 6 Field Regt Royal Artillery. Until it was disbanded (presumably in 1947 on Indian Independence) the Brigade was occupied on internal security duties in Mysore. 1st Essex had a detachment in the fort at Madras and was the last British unit to be stationed in that ancient stronghold.

Note that the words in brackets above have been added by myself to help your understanding.

It would appear likely that your Quad was owned at one time by 6 Fd Regt RA, but please do not ask me how it has come to have some sort of an RASC Arm of Service square, let alone why that was painted on the bridging circle!

Hope this helps

Chris

chris as some one who has answered the question on this and with the information given by others l have to state that with out concrete proof such as a post war vrn all ideas of who this vehicle served with is pure speculation you may be right and l may be wrong or l may be right who knows

Thanks Chris. That has given me food for thought. It is the first a bit of concrete evidence as to the blue shield. Do you think the symbol painted on my Quad is the 72nd symbol? There is, after all, only so much leeway that can be given to "artistic licence". Could it be something else?

I did find some info on 6 field Regt RA from 1938-45. In 1947 it seams that it was re designated as 67 Training Regt RA. Consisting of 165, 155 and 74 Field Bty's It also had "B" bty from 112 Regt RA. This Bty was latter replaced by "B" Bty from 188 AAFC Regt.

However nothing from 1945-47. 74 Bty is still around, so I might be able to get a Bty history from them.

My plan is to find out what unit the vehicle served with before it was struck off, then work backwards from there, cross referencing the info where ever passable. For example, I know the Quad started out in green paint and finished up in Portland stone, so logic would say it didn't finish up in N.W. Europe. I know its not a very accurate way to do it.

Regards Ross

:-D:-D:-D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi just read through this Thread ....There are 2 Morris Beatle backs in the leeds area and I am aware of a further 1 under construction ...

The vehicles are part of

E Troop, 444 Bty, 69th Fd Regt RA

A Yorkshire based group that forms E Troop within the Garrison.

http://www.thegarrison.org.uk/index.php

The above link and unit section may help you in locating vehicles near you ...To obtain patterns from..

Plus an opportunity to Join

Regards

Jenkinov

Gunner in the Garrison ..Plus owner Willys MB + Triumph 3sw

Right. I have made an appointment to visit the Irish Army Archive on the Wed the 22nd of Jan. Hopeful this will give me the written proof that my Quad is Irish Army. All the deviance is pointing that way so far.

I have also researched the colour on the vehicle. Not as easy as yo might think as there was not a standardisation of paints used until 1952. The official colour is Army Grey, this is a green/grey colour. But this varied from unit to unit so its hard to know the correct shade. I used a sample of the original paint still on the vehicle and compared it to the Army Grey colour I found on line and got some samples mixed up. I opted for a slightly darker Green/Grey than was on the vehicle to allow for the sun bleaching effect on the paint.

The colour picked is on the left.

1487377_719677058044096_1787511072_n.jpg

1927Grey-Green.jpg

The colour in this picture is a little off.

Photo0491.jpg

• 2 weeks later...