Another Ford M1917 ambulance build

Gustaf

The thread on Ford ambulances a few years ago go me motivated to build a replica for my self. I had been looking for an original for years, and traced one as recently as the 1970s, but ran into an uncooperative person whos hands it passed through.

This is mine, not quite finished, built on a 1919 Ford chassis.

aaa038-1.jpg

Best

Gus

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting, are these full scale?

Tom

Yes, they are original except for the Italian trousers (they date from the 1930s), the French boots (they are m1917, but were made during the Viet Nam War in the mid 50s) and the trousers on the Early Austrian uniform (they are movie company made, but correct)

Best

Gus

Brilliant, very clever and a good looking display, I thought it must have taken a long time to make the vehicle but researching and finding all the uniforms must have taken a while as well. Excellent

Hey Snort,

I have been collecting WWI uniforms, equipment and weapons since the 1960s. The advent of the webernet has made research a very easy thing to do. I can remember when it took months to get an answer that can be found in seconds now.

Best

Gus

Hey Snort,

I have been collecting WWI uniforms, equipment and weapons since the 1960s. The advent of the webernet has made research a very easy thing to do. I can remember when it took months to get an answer that can be found in seconds now.

Best

Gus

Well done all the same, looking good.

Both your uniform collection and your Ford are very impressive. I would love to see them in person.

Steve

Hey Steve, I plan on displaying a portion of the collection with the ambulance at the Utah Gun Collector's Association gun show in Ogden Utah, October 13-14. It is a bit of a drive from Wisdom, but it is a good show.

Best

Gus

About a third of the show is displays, the show is only about 300 tables. It is hard to tell what is going to be there, one member has a 1888 Gatling Gun that he brings from time to time. Saturday is the best day, more crowd, but as it is in an area with a large LDS population, there are fewer displays and venders on Sunday.

Best

Gus

Hey Punk,

Here is the stripped chassis as I started with the first sill.

aaa001.jpg

and as I started with the sub frame

aaa005-1.jpg

The tool boxes and headboard are nearly finished

aaa008-1.jpg

I have the sides together

aaa019-1.jpg

A little colour makes it look closer to finished, but if you look close, you can see that the rear wheel is just leaning against the side, as I had to rebuild the rear end

aaa028-1.jpg

I have the axle back together and the rafters and floor in

aaa035.jpg

Canvas is almost done, and some detail painted on.

aaa038-1.jpg

best

Gus

Another update, I finished the tail gate and rear windows, I need to make the canvas cover for the upper stretcher and do the interior details. I am waiting on some photos from 1910Coupe, to decide how to assemble those bits. I also sorted a wonky coil, so it runs better.

aaa047.jpg

That is an interesting thread, I had not seen that photo of an SSU 14 ambulance before, a friend in Norway sent me a French ARS17 gas mask named to a fellow who served in SSU 14.

Here is a better photo of the tail gate of my T, showing the reinforcement arounf the center hole doubling as a step.

aaa055.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my side curtains today, they were easier to do than I thought they would be, I did have to redo my tilt though, as I managed to put a screwdriver through it in the process of fitting the fasteners. From all the period photos I have found, there was no front windshield, only the canvas extending up to the driver's shoulders. This would have broken the wind for the most part, and would not have caused a visibility problems due to rain, snow, frost or condensation. I do know that the M1918 did have an additional panel that had isinglass that enclosed the driver's compartment completely.

aaa095_zpsd354b351.jpg

aaa094_zpsafbb5664.jpg