Another Ford M1917 ambulance build

Gustaf

Thanks Steve,

There is only one good photo of the back that I have been able to find of the M1917, and it is in the 1920 financial report of the Medical Corps, it give great detail of the rear tail gate, hinge, latch, and a fair view of the seats and upper litter rails. When I finished the body, I sent a photo to a friend who did a layover with the above photos, and the only thing that did not match exactly was the front fenders because the brackets are a bit droopy.

Best

Gus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Wasn't the American Ambulance a civillian organisation?

Hey Tony

Yes. the American Ambulance was an American supported hospital in Paris and Neuilly sur Seine. The American Field Service was the organization that provided cars and personnel to the American Ambulance (ambulance referred to the hospital, not the car). It is interesting that the AFS went on to become one of the best organizations for the exchange of culture and knowledge through exchange students. The AFS is still in operation.

In England, the term "ambulance" was beginning to be used to describe the transport automobile, and partly because the AFS ambulance cars had American Ambulance painted on the side, ambulance became the word to describe the car. It is also interesting that modern ambulances have become the same as the original ambulance (portable hospital) and in many cases, the modern ambulance is a better equipped hospital than the original ambulance hospitals were.

Hey DB88,

Great photos!

Hey DB88

The web site is David O'Neal's, he has a thread somewhere here chronicling his construction. The last photo is an interesting one, they removed the gas tanke from under the seat, or added a second to this ambulance, it is one of the ones built in France, probably under the direction of the American Ambulance or the Red Cross, these two groups were nationalized into the United States Army Ambulance Service when the US entered the war in mid 1918 (war was declared in early 1917, but for the most part, the US did not have a presence in Europe for another year).

Best

Gus

A view of the inside

Library of Congress image - 25MB file link

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/npc2008000752/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70898[/ATTACH]

DesertBlooms88

Another observation, the litters shown are American made (I suspect that this photo may have been taken in the US, I am puzzled by the construction) The litters are the commercial variety used by the USAAS, and the feet are further from the ends. The early US made ambulances (first 2450 made) were constructed to accommodate these litters as well as the French and Italian ones. It turned out that the standard US military litter had the feet closer to the end, and would not fit in the upper litter rails, as the back feet would extend past the end of the rails so the bodies of subsequent cars were extended by about 3 inches to accommodate the US military litters (referred to as the "long truck model"

Best

Gus

• 4 weeks later...

It is nearly freezing out today, so I thought I would go for a drive since it was so warm. The T handles snow that is 6 to 8 inches deep with out much problem, but the icy roads are fun with slick tires and minimal brakes, but at least I can lock up the wheels now.

aaa125_zps49d46828.jpg

aaa126_zps07687501.jpg

Best

Gus

Hey Tony,

Reading some of the personal histories, they talk about getting one car started in the morning, and then towing the others to start them, during actions, the cars would not set long enough to get cold, and the side curtains help a lot in keeping the engine temperature in the driver's compartment. It was hard work, and dangerous, but far better than being in the trenches.

I have a letter written home by a German soldier who was wounded in the early battles in Poland in 1914, and he writes of how the driver of a truck had to warm the fuel before he could start the engine, it is possible that the driver was warming the water for the radiator rather than the fuel, as the soldier was not familiar with motor cars.

Best

Gus

Interesting, Martyn.

Did you get any photos of these Ts ? I'd like to see them if you did.

Jack

I have regretted the fact that i didnt, i know that they were in the issue of Classic Military Vehicle the month of the war and peace show itself (the pictures in CMV were taken at W&P the year before). I think there were three Ts at war and peace together and i think they drove them there?, the T i was in was believed to have once been an ambulance one.

http://www.kelseyshop.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_97_266&product_id=2371

Thanks anyway, Martyn. I'll see if I can obtain a copy of the CMV magazine for Aug 12.

GWT - appreciate a look at one of the Ts. I see this also has the shamrock emblem. It may also be just the mud, but the tyres (particularly the front RH) look to be wider than usual.

Jack

It may also be just the mud, but the tyres (particularly the front RH) look to be wider than usual.

Jack

Trying to think now, he did mention something about the tyres. I think he said that original tyres did not allow water out of the tread but, i cant remember why, he had diferent ones fitted but he did have a reason.

I believe he also had a few photos of the restoration which may be useful for some of you

The tires do appear to be the modern balloon tires, they are a bit larger in size, and the wheel has a smaller diameter. The earlier tires were measured around the out side and would have been 30x3½ or 30x3, in the 1920s Ford went to a tire that was measured on the inside diameter and were 21 inch. There were other differences, the newer tires were normally inflated to 32psi, where the earlier tires had to be inflated to 60psi or more. The earlier tire was based on the bicycle tire, and has to be stretched over the rim to be fitted. The modern tire uses either a drop center rim, or in the case of the Ford 21 inch wheel, a split rim to install.

Best

Gus