432 Question

antar

This 432 turned up in the collection which I help with some maintenance at. We are interested to find out what it was for and what items are missing off the roof. It clearly had a diesel powered generator on top as both fuel feed and return pipes with quick couplers are still there as well as some power cables. It also appears to have had some sort of fold down arial as there is a row of rubber buffers as if when folded for travel the arial rested on them. Inside there are only a couple of fold down seats on the LHS with a table arrangement on the RHS.

If anybody knows the whearabouts of the corect generator and other aparatus off the roof we would be interested in purchasing them.DSCF0949.JPG

DSCF0948.JPG

Hi

If not a 439 then another possibility is that the Plessey Vampire radio direction finding (DF) sets taken to the first Gulf war in 1991 were transferred from Landrover 101FC carriers to FV432s - if this was one it would have had a 21M Clark SCAM mast on the roof and fittings for a sloped table/console with 6 approx 1 foot x 18 inch modules stacked 3 wide and two high. Is there any remaining evidence of its military registration - if so I know someone who may know

Regards

Iain

Thanks for all the replies up to now, in answer to the last post, the generator is in a completly different position on the roof. Generator position is towards the rear right. Iwill get some better pictures next weekend.

On first sight I don't think it is the EW Vampire tracked variant, let me have the VRN and I'll be able to say definitely. There were 6 tracked Vampires. It could be an EW Complex tracked variant, but research on these is on going so could be more difficult to confirm. I believe there were 16 tracked Complex vehicles.

HTH

Peter

The 432 Vampire 21 metre mast was stowed on the top o/s of the hull from the rear bulkhead along about half the length of the hull. It was mounted on a frame work that was welded to the hull at four points. The frame work was about two feet above the top of the hull. The mast lay along the top of the frame work, during erection the mast was slid back to the end of the framework to allow the hand winch to pivot it to vertical.

I'm now pretty sure the 432 in the initial photos isn't a Vampire variant. The VRN would help.

HTH

Peter

V 00EE11 01. V1 GW1..jpg

Hello All,

I believe this one in your collection is the one that was sold at the W& this year.

As far as I am aware it is the EW Electronic Warfare variant as Peter has mentioned.

Here is video of one that I saw at Withams a while ago, and you will find some pics on the fv432 forum as well

here is a pic of the generator

signalsvariant09.jpg

signalsvariant04.jpg

but going by ducting is it an air conditioning unit? as there seems to be a mounting bracket that could accomadate a generator.

signalsvariant07.jpg

Dougy

The original registration of this one was OOEE61. Code 00402112

Served with 1st Royal Irish BAOR.

Sold by Withams to David Crouch with 36 miles on the clock from full rebuild. I bought it from David and sold it this year to Brian.

Thanks Topdog for the serial and reg numbers. It is now in a nice big shed with lots of other toys.

Had another look around it today, we would really like to know what the three rubber buffers on the plate above where the aircon unit was ( its missing off this one) are for, should there be something which folds down onto them ?

We would also like to find the correct generator to fit on the roof, does anyone have pictures of what it looked like ?

Here are a couple more pics of the roof hardware.

DSCF1014.jpg

DSCF1015.jpg

Hi Top Dog

Thanks for the VRN 00EE61. This isn't one of the six EW Vampires that were converted in theatre for use in Gulf War 1 - unless you've got the 6 and the 1 transposed. 00EE16 WAS a 432 Vampire! It was also known as "Sand Gremlin". '16 also turned up on exercise in Denmark with 14 Sig Rgt in 1994. Two of the original six 432 V's stayed with 14 until the late '90's, the others moved on soon after GW1.

There is a possibility that at least one 436? Vampire worked with 14 in Bosnia that wasn't in GW1. This is 03FA93, however it is not clear if the internal fit out is Vampire, however the external fit on '93 is Vampire with 21m mast, cable reel, ladder etc.

I mentioned earlier other 432's that were converted for the EW role in GW1. Unfortunately 00EE61 doesn't appear in my incomplete records for these Complex variants.

HTH

Peter

Look after it Antar - I had a lot of fun but didnt take nearly enough movie footage. Largely due to the lack of prowess of the family.

Please take some film resulted in 3 lots of movie clip. each about 1 second long...........

Never mind, I have about a minute in total, which is better than nothing.

Look after it Antar - I had a lot of fun but didnt take nearly enough movie footage. Largely due to the lack of prowess of the family.

Please take some film resulted in 3 lots of movie clip. each about 1 second long...........

Never mind, I have about a minute in total, which is better than nothing.

Don't worry it is in good hands with plenty of other green machines in a nice big dry shed, we had it running last weekend whilst we rearanged everything, not that we are stuck for room !, it's now parked with a standard 432 and a 434. Will get some pictures.