Great Dorset Steam Rally

One of the highlights for me was watching the 1918 US Army Nash Quad arriving towing a WW1 trailer. The owner had wrapped rope around the wheels which gave him plenty of traction to get through the mud. He developed a leak in the radiator though and had to stop to refill the rad six times between unloading and arriving at the WW1 display.

Although it took an hour to book in on Tuesday (this was down to the wet weather with most entry lanes closed), it only took 15 mins to leave today. In the last couple of years the organisers have taken a pragmatic view & close the show at 3.00pm. A reduced entry fee is charged on the last day & people who have long distances to travel with their exhibits have a good head start for the journey. Something that other larger shows might consider, maybe.

DSC07669 (Medium).jpg

DSC07673 (Medium).JPG

DSC07631 (Medium).jpg

DSC07634 (Medium).JPG

DSC07627 (Medium).jpg

DSC07636 (Medium).jpg

DSC07655 (Medium).jpg

DSC07666 (Medium).JPG

20140827_171944_resized (Medium).jpg

Ah that's what its called! It seemed to be making good headway although the gun thing was nosing down into the mud which didn't help. It stopped there for about 10 minutes I couldn't work out was the problem was.

In general I did find it difficult getting many useful photos, because once people have taken their photos then they stand around in the way or get up close & then just stand there. I'm sure that they would be quite annoyed if someone did that when they were taking their photos!

They seem to be just about unstoppable. It looks like the owner Ron standing alongside. Just a technical difficulty I expect. I rather liked the smaller five ton Holt parked in the WW1 display. Never seen one of those in the flesh before.

I had the same problem photographing things. Luckily I was there for about 8:00 on Friday morning so managed to get some good photos when no one else was around. After that it was a bit manic. I heard one guy shouting at people to get out of the way and they just ignored him.

In general I did find it difficult getting many useful photos, because once people have taken their photos then they stand around in the way or get up close & then just stand there. I'm sure that they would be quite annoyed if someone did that when they were taking their photos!

This is my biggest bug bare, especially when it comes to the more interesting machines which you might not get chance to photograph again. Don't get me wrong we've all been guilty of it but I always apologise if I've done it to someone else as I know how annoying it is. Some people seem totally oblivious to it all!

Anyhow, Dorset was certainly hard work on the legs on the days I visited (Wednesday and Thursday) and its the only time I've ever been and never seen any vehicle movement in any of the arenas. Shame as I especially love the Play Pen when its in full flow. Still enjoyed the show though, thought the WW1 section was brilliant and it was also good to see a few friends who I only see at this event. See what people meant about the Commercial section being totally different to how it used to be, seemed to have been cut by way over a half.

See what people meant about the Commercial section being totally different to how it used to be, seemed to have been cut by way over a half.

Yes I feel rather sorry for them, not only because of the size reduction but wedged between them & the MVs is that extraordinary & to me pointless exercise of "tractor pulling". Not only does the noise of that go late into the evening (making barking dogs & generators seem really quite tolerable) but the black diesel fumes from these machines are serious & unpleasant.

One exhibitor in our section needed regular medical attention because it triggered serious asthma attacks & nearly needed a hospital admission. The whole show for them was ruined. As for the poor souls in the "Collectables" section who were this year transplanted to end of the tractor pulling arena. When the pulling was on they were unable to be heard by visitors & had to evacuate or hide from the black fumes as they were general down wind of this as they were right next to the finishing line.

I would have thought it might be fairer for all if the commercial section & the tractor pullers swapped location.