Re: How easy to convert a CJ to a Willys??

Danny152

Not my normal cup of tea but away at the moment in the US and came across a knackered CJ I believe it is?? I know the tub is different but how similar is the rest of the Jeep, chassis, engine, axle etc?

Can send you a pic if you wish to check the model, my email address is burt.danny@yahoo.co.uk

Any advice from you Jeep experts out there?

Cheers for your help?

Regards

Danny

Depends what model CJ you are looking at. Assume you plan to fit a repro tub on a later chassis? I'm not a Jeep expert, but I can tell you that among the differences between a CJ3A and a wartime model are:

1. Radiator mounted each side to front grille on CJ3A - at bottom on crossmember on wartime so if using wartime tub need to fit mounting plats to front grille
  2. Heavier gearbox - may need to tweak floor pan ever-so-slightly on a wartime tub to fit (and modify centre crossmember??)
  3. Rear shock absorbers mounted differently (not a big job to make new brackets)
  4. Rear axle is heavier duty
  5. Brake drums are slightly wider
  6. Fuel tank is side fill - if using wartime tub then fit a wartime top fill tank
  7. Driver's seat frame about 4" higher on CJ3A (more comfortable :D)
  8. Engine is a bit tougher too

Probably more but you'll need to wait for an expert to come along :blush:

Edited by N.O.S.

The most notable differences are (in addition to whats been covered)

The grill: CJ has 'bug eye' headlamps, MB/GPWs were recessed behind the grill.

The windshield.

Rims (CJ rims are slotted, combat rims were sold disk)

The drivers side on a jeep has indents for the shovel/axe mounting.

The MB would have had a the pintal hook and bumperettes.

Mechanically you have to get pretty deep into the workings:

gear driven cam vs chain (certain parts will run 'backwards' compared to a GoDevil jeep engine)

the electrical harness will be different

If it has the original engine there will a large cantankerous governor

Controls (choke/throttle etc) will be in different locations

The steering wheel will have a significant cutout in the dash.

Probably the biggest change was the steering linkage was moved off the axle and onto a cross member to alleviate the 'brake induced steering' of the original jeeps

Get those things converted and you will pass the 10 foot test.

Edited by deadline

and a visual one that nobody has mentioned.....

CJs have 7 slots in the radiator grill whereas wartime ones have 9 :D

PS @Nick...are you assuming that one is a CJ convert or have you further info??..just wondered.......I know they say it is a 1953 chassis but...could it be a Hotchkiss chassis or..?

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

But why? Why would you want to? A CJ would make a nice base project for a, err, CJ? I can think of umpteen CJ projects which would look really cool - Santini Air finish (airwolf), Arizona State Police (with light bars) to name a couple. To convert it into a Willys MB just because.. nope, don't go there!

That looks like an MD Juan body kit. Nothing on the body looks CJ at all. If all you want is a frame then there are few differences. But even looking at the front axle its not a CJ axle, but an MB/GPW one (the location of the steering arm is the give away).

I also agree that a well restored CJ3 can be much more valuable than a jeep-mix-master. A mix matched jeep will be always pointed out, a well done CJ3 resto will simply be a well done CJ3 resto.

Yes RSB, tailgate. And the Willys stamped logo on the bonnnet. Although Danny wasn't asking about the body as he knew it was different, just about the mechanicals :cool2: :laugh:

I started to turn one into a wartime looker 'cos I couldn't afford a wartime one and had the offer of a really cheap (but excellent mechanically) military CJ3A. Yes I'd agree now that it would probably be worth more as a restored military CJ3A, but not at the time it wasn't. I got all the parts ready (e.g. plain pressed panel to tack weld into the tailgate hole).

A friend now has it and has just completed the transformation, but in such a way that it can very easily be converted back its original spec :angel: