Potential bio fuel problems with DIESEL

N.O.S.

A new discussion thread for anyone concerned about possible problems arising from the use of current diesel fuel in vehicles which do not get used on a daily basis.

What is the cause of these problems?

Introduction of ultra-low sulphur diesel, coinciding with blending of typically 5-7% bio fuel into white diesel (road derv) and into red diesel or 35sec Gas oil (for off-road use). Note however that levels in red diesel supplies could exceed 10%.

Note: Unless you can find a source of Marine Red Diesel (high sulphur, no bio)you will be buying diesel blended with bio fuel whether you like it or not. It is expected that supplies of marine diesel will become further restricted - it is already illegal to use high sulphur diesel in all off-road equipment (this covers pretty much anything with a diesel engine including inland waterway vessels).

This gives rise to two issues -

fuel injection equipment lubrication caused by low sulphur content, and

bio-contaminant growth caused by a combination of long term storage and condensation within the fuel and injection system of the parked-up vehicle (basically growth of plant cells gumming up fuel systems).

The former is not of so much concern to those without the latest Tier 4 or 5 engines (most diesel powered MVs, be they as-built or retro-fitted, have much older power plants :-D ), but the latter could give rise to serious problems such as gummed-up tanks, fuel lines, filters pumps, etc. The recommended practice of completely draining down fuel systems between use is really not practical.

It looks like there are some cost-effective solutions to the issue of storage -

http://fastexocet.co.uk/products/search.html?products=13,3,4,6,7,5

In particular look at

http://fastexocet.co.uk/assets/products/exocetfuelstoreplus-info.pdf

and

http://fastexocet.co.uk/products/search/exocetantibug.html

These products are effective for up to 2 years per treatment. they are available from a number of national / regional fuel distributors, as well as certain plant / machinery dealers e.g.

http://www.rix.co.uk/products/additives/ and http://www.benburgess.co.uk/home.aspx

For background and an overview on diesel supply issues have a look here

http://www.benburgess.co.uk/links/diesel.aspx

Edited by N.O.S.

The "diesel bug" is a well known issue with mariners regardless of what type of diesel you're using, so don't be seduced by the idea of so-called Marine Diesel. The bug comes in various forms, some living in the diesel, some living at the diesel/water interface in tanks. It's the dead bugs that clog filters.

Andy

i dont rate it it was used by one of my previous employers in my hgv i spent more time broken down and filter changes ! :undecided:

Are you saying you don't rate the additive? Was it derv or full biodiesel you were running on at the time? I know a lot of operators had trouble with 100% bio despite additives, but these ones are intended for low % mixes like all current diesel is.

it was mixed i drove a skip wagon and we dealt in waste food and fats / oils a man came on site every few weeks and mixed it up so much white diesel and so much oil i think it was pure sunflower oil but i dont know what ratio it was mixed ! :undecided:

We have run the new 10ppm ulsd in trains since January this year (had a one year exemption). Bizarrely we have seen a reduction in blocked filters but a very consistent 6-7% increase in consumption...I cant imagine the storage issue is a problem as we tend to be filling the tanks every day or so...

One of the additives actually lifts the cetane rating of the fuel making it burn better - noticeably better starting is claimed too.

Greater fuel consumption - by the time someone has done a proper analysis of the cost of producing the crops and making the bio fuel and losing performance I somehow doubt it will stack up in terms of energy balance. But the point I guess is that soon there won't be any straight mineral oil so we'll eventually have to live with this stuff somehow.

The storage issue is one that should be of greatest concern to us MV heavy oilers

due to professional reasons , we're confronted with the problem on a daily base ,

not that difficult to avoid any breakdown of machinery and/or equipment ,

a special filter is available now , depending on car - truck - machinery - use , various models , depending on the debit what's required

filter is based on magnetism , lasts a lifetime , better is to install one at the storage tank , and another one in the fuel system of your car/truck

cheaper than continiously buying additives and other chemicals , which are often very poisonous

due to professional reasons , we're confronted with the problem on a daily base ,

not that difficult to avoid any breakdown of machinery and/or equipment ,

a special filter is available now , depending on car - truck - machinery - use , various models , depending on the debit what's required

filter is based on magnetism , lasts a lifetime , better is to install one at the storage tank , and another one in the fuel system of your car/truck

cheaper than continiously buying additives and other chemicals , which are often very poisonous

Call me sceptical but but how do these magnetic filters work

I have seen them and had the speel read out out to me but i fail to see how magnatism can have any effect on biologigal non magnetic matter but i am open to education. Seems to smack of these lay line theories that surround ancient druid temples

Or the cures for arthritic problems

Call me sceptical but but how do these magnetic filters work

I have seen them and had the speel read out out to me but i fail to see how magnatism can have any effect on biologigal non magnetic matter but i am open to education. Seems to smack of these lay line theories that surround ancient druid temples

Or the cures for arthritic problems

http://www.fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm

One of the best-known examples of a magnetic fuel "saving" device is the Ecoflow. In 2002 the Advertising Standards Authority ruled against Ecoflow, saying: The Authority took expert advice on the Warren Spring [DTI] report. It understood that the testing procedure was flawed and therefore the results did not prove the efficacy of the Ecoflow fuel economiser. It considered that the letters, testimonials and articles sent by the advertisers to support their claims for the fuel economiser did not constitute rigorous scientific evidence.

The vehicle tested, a non-catalyst equipped carburetted engine car, was not typical of current vehicles, which are fitted with catalysts and fuel injected systems. The Authority noted the vehicle tested was too old and too variable in its exhaust emissions for the test programme used. The Authority concluded that the reference to the Warren Spring report was misleading because the testing procedure was flawed and the test vehicle no longer representative. It told the advertisers to delete the reference to the Warren Spring report

The ASA does not regulate Internet advertising, so this test data is still widely used by the sellers of magnetic devices ("tested by the DTI!"), but the authoritative remarks above should demonstrate the need for caution in accepting these claims.

Ecoflow also said that their magnetic device was "the subject of a continuing product specific trial funded by an independent charity" but "the results would not be available for some time". This was said over two years ago - readers may draw their own conclusions as to the results of this trial, from the fact that they have apparently not been published.

Another "famous" magnetic fuel "saving" device is the FuelMAX / Super FuelMAX. The makers and sellers of this device were recently taken to court by the US Federal Trade Comission, and banned from claiming significant economy or emissions benefits. Read the FTC press release for full details. (The "FuelMAX" was described by the FTC as "a bogus fuel-saving product that doesn’t save fuel", which is a pretty clear condemnation!) And in August 2006 the company was fined 4.2 million dollars for their false claims, and banned from ever selling such products again.

There are also the various catalysts. I have one in the tank of my Dodge. I put it in when I first got her as empirically I've found vehicles run better with them. Now they are a tin alloy, and various tin compounds have been used in marine anitfouling for years. Despite fuel sitting around I've not had any troubles so far. That is petrol but I have had catalysts, the same one actually, in Disiel as well.