Proving age of vehicle when registering.

Yet another registration question??

I'm struggling to get the paperwork, military release, from the previous owner, don't know why, and I did see it before purchase before you ask, just that it didn't get delivered with the truck.

What would I need to prove the trucks (RB44) age for registration purposes, would a picture of the vin plate with the military reg no. on it be adequate.

Due to time constraints I'm trying to get it mot'd registered and on the road this week hence the rush.

thanks

Actually , I would speack in praise of DVLA office at Sidcup. Took a total of ten minutes to get the paperwork sorted for Katy. I just need to go back with a chassis number MOT, hopefully tomorrow and the insurance certificate. Depending on the office the may accept the VIN number to give you a Q plate, then sort out later.

I'm struggling to get the paperwork, military release, from the previous owner, don't know why, and I did see it before purchase before you ask, just that it didn't get delivered with the truck.

What would I need to prove the trucks (RB44) age for registration purposes, would a picture of the vin plate with the military reg no. on it be adequate.

Due to time constraints I'm trying to get it mot'd registered and on the road this week hence the rush.

thanks

A verification letter from an approved club (MVT/IMPS) to prove the age

Dont think you could do tha tby the end of the week though

thanks

The seller should have supplied the release documents as these should have been supplied to them presuming they asked for them from Withams. Only one copy of the release form is supplied so says the copy of the form that I have. I made sure that I picked up my form from Withams when I collected the vehicle (I didn't trust the Post Office with its delivery). If you're lucky Withams may still have the form.

You can still get it insured on the chassis number and you can drive it to the testing station at VOSA for its MOT on the registration that is supplied by VOSA. Booking it in at a ministry testing station usually takes nearly a month for a time slot to become available. Make sure its tested as a private HGV no tacho required. From memory Preston Isaacs was fined £220 for not having one of his vehicles MOT'd as a private HGV.

The truck needs to be MOT'd before the DVLA will even contemplate registering it. I did take pictures of the VIN plate and the axle loadings plate when I filled in my forms for VOSA. I must admit that they were very helpful

if you get it MOTed on its chassis number the Dvla will usually accept this and reg it as a Qplate you can sort out the age related issue at your leisure. Just because its got a Q plate dont mean it cannot be altered in the future on this sort of vehicle

Thanks for the replies.

I always thought a Q plate was a last resort and you couldn't change it once it was issued, I stand to be corrected though.

"just" need to get it mot'd now:-D

Google to the rescue, appears you can change a Q plate to an age related one with the relevant paperwork.

Excellent

Edited by redneck

Fallen foul of the government already, I was under the impression I could just book an MOT and turn up.

Spoke the man at VOSA to book an MOT and he told me I need to complete a VGT1 form, then post it to them.

He also told me the local MOT station is booked up until the 17th of July>:(

I could rant about the online booking etc etc but I would just be wasting my time:laugh:

I've just taken my 54 in today for testing, no problem I had previously talked to local DVLA, they helped me with paperwork and told me go forth be happy and come back with MOT and insurance. I just went to my local Miltary sympathic place, Dakar at Swanley and booked it. One flexi hose needs replacement. The MOT also started the process to create a new VL5. My vehicle is only 2.6 ton so dosen't fall into any strange catergory. Though as all OFFICIAL channels still insist on using the word Ambulance, in that case a Class 4 would apply regardless of weight! Last one out shut off the light?

Fallen foul of the government already, I was under the impression I could just book an MOT and turn up.

Spoke the man at VOSA to book an MOT and he told me I need to complete a VGT1 form, then post it to them.

I could rant about the online booking etc etc but I would just be wasting my time:laugh:

Rant away!! Its even worse when you have to schedule in 42 mots for HGV's and for whatever reason your local station is booked up solid. Furthest I have had to travel is the 96 miles to Ipswich!!

If the RB has 8 seats in it you can get it MOT'ed as a car on a class 4 mot when I first did my one the test centre checked with VOSA and they confirmed that this was ok and then got it registered without any problems

If the RB has 8 seats in it you can get it MOT'ed as a car on a class 4 mot when I first did my one the test centre checked with VOSA and they confirmed that this was ok and then got it registered without any problems

VOSA's left and right hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing

Ooooh - do NOT get me started on on the twin topics of VOSA and incompetence!!! >:( >:( :mad:

ONE Vallium sandwich, and in your case 2 pints of Brandy on the way! :D

So far, (Banging head rapiadily aginst wood) DVLA at Sidcup have been nothing but helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

I can hear the laughing already, try to keep it down.

Despite my best efforts the "week" to get MOT'd and registered was a bit optimistic:red:

Just got the MOT date 8th of August >:(

Nearly 2 months FFS I can see this being major PITA in the future.

Maybe I'll open an MOT test centre............

Thanks for the replies.

I always thought a Q plate was a last resort and you couldn't change it once it was issued, I stand to be corrected though.

"just" need to get it mot'd now:-D

Google to the rescue, appears you can change a Q plate to an age related one with the relevant paperwork.

Excellent

I registered my GMC in the mid 1980s, I was issued with a "Q" plate, but I had 12 months to obtain a date related number, which I did.......... I presume that its still the same ?????........ but a phone call will soon confirm that.

As far as proof of age goes. If you can get a build data card from manufacturer, or the military release papers with a service record, DVLA will acept those.

But they won't register it until its MOT'd catch 22.

I can hear the laughing already, try to keep it down.

Despite my best efforts the "week" to get MOT'd and registered was a bit optimistic:red:

Just got the MOT date 8th of August >:(

Nearly 2 months FFS I can see this being major PITA in the future.

Maybe I'll open an MOT test centre............

Don't forget to put you're exemption in for a tacho as a PLG

It took me a month to get my RB44 in for an MOT its a busy time of year for MOT stations as everyone is off on there jollies so when do companies book trucks and trailers in for an MOT?

Edited by ferrettkitt

I must have the only helpful DVLA ofice in the country on my door step! They carefully explained to me, how to take the vehicle up to the MOT station and get an MOT on the chassis number, and to make sure I knew where the chassi number was and that is is was cleaned up so the inspector could see it. The grief came at the station Frank said it have to have a registration number, fortunatley it has the Jersey one. The intresting thing is, when the number was fed into the computer it came up 'This will start the issue of a VL5 document'. Do you wish to continue?

• 1 month later...