Mystery lorry LP 8328.

A photograph from a collection of Liversidge, coachbuilders, Old Kent Road, London. This lorry is registered in an LP series from 1916 / 16, certainly the WD used some of this series. Would appear to be ex. WD, has live rear drive and could well be of American origin and just been reconditioned post WW1..

WD lorry.jpg

Richard Peskett.

Don't have any idea as to the make, but I know where I could get it identified if it is American.

The ATHS, American Truck Historical Society, run a daily US truck identity quiz and I'm sure Jeff L. there could run that past the very knowledgable members. Let me know if you want me to copy and forward to him.

Gordon

Could it be an Austro Daimler?

There is a pattern on the radiator although not clear, it could follow the design of the Austro-Daimler badge.

Doug

If you'll excuse the momentary diversion, whilst looking for evidence of A-D lorries of this period I just found an amazing image of a 1905 Austro-Daimler armoured car on this forum http://landships.activeboard.com/ - which looks worthy of further exploration.

Austro Daimler 1905.jpg

I have just been reading Dennis Miller's Encyclopaedia of Trucks and Buses and he confirms that Seabrook imported vehicles manufactured by the Standard Motor Truck Co. of Detroit. He goes on to say that the Standards had Brown-Lipe transmissions and Timken worm drive axles with the heaviest having chain final drive. It could be that the RNAS armoured car Seabrooks were the five ton chain drive variant and that this is a three tonner with the worm drive.

Steve. :)

Yep, Standard Motor truck (aka Fisher Standard) is a possibility. The slightly boat-shaped from chassis crossmember is the giveaway. All the standard pics I have form this sera show this feature and several others similar ones.

I am pleased this one has created some hard thinking !. A few points from my original which may not be clear on the copy. The steering column is vertical, chassis frame appears to be a rolled section rather than pressed ( very square edges), rear suspension is probably fully floating anchored by the 'perforated ' radius arms, the starting handle folds back under, there is something else on top of the radiator behind the filler neck.

Richard Peskett.

it looks to be a very complicated body. I wonder why they went to such an effort?

The body looks similar to a horse drawn delivery van. I think these were constructed in this way for rigitity. Is this a horse drawn van fitted to the motor chassis?