Flexible Dipstick?

Lauren Child

Question

Does anyone have a source of springy plastic or metal tape?

My fuel filler has a kink in it, so I can't dip a stick in to see how much fuel I've got. I've tried flexible sticks / dipsticks but they tend to be round and/or ribbed for flexibility. These have two problems

1) the ribs worry me as it makes a filing sound going in. If it sparks then boom and :angel:.

2) as the kink leads into the tank almost horizontally, I've no idea which way the stick goes when it pushes against the back of the tank.

I just tried wrapping one of the ribbed dipsticks in fabric tape, which seemed to help, but also dissolved in the tank leaving me with slimey black fingers.

What I really need is something flexible and flat that I can either weight the end of (ensuring that it bends straight down) or I can push against the back of the tank safe in the knowledge that it's not going to slide off at an angle or spark.

11 answers to this question

A version of an electrical fish-tape?

A fish tape often has a bronze ball crimped on the end so that it can ride in any direction through conduits........ :cheesy:

Maybe something like a length of 1.6mm welding wire with a large (1/2") loop on the end so that it rides over the knobbles and follows the contour of the pipe better? With a flat loop like that you may have to direct it down at a certain angle to let it ride correctly.

Just a thought....

Alec.

Maybe something like a length of 1.6mm welding wire with a large (1/2") loop on the end so that it rides over the knobbles and follows the contour of the pipe better?

This reminds me of another solution. How about a wire cost hanger? They are fairly flexible and very cost-effective.

I used to use wire cost hangers a lot at work and it was essential getting data and power leads under computer room floors.

Get a length of flexible plastic hose,feed a length of string through it, tie a weight onto one end of the string.

Pull the string tight so it holds the weight against the hose, then feed the lot through the filler pipe. (weighted end first)

You'll have to judge when its cleared the filler neck.

let string go slack,so the weight drops down into the bottom of the tank.

Simply pull the lot back up.

Job done.

Get a length of flexible plastic hose,feed a length of string through it, tie a weight onto one end of the string.

Pull the string tight so it holds the weight against the hose, then feed the lot through the filler pipe. (weighted end first)

You'll have to judge when its cleared the filler neck.

let string go slack,so the weight drops down into the bottom of the tank.

Simply pull the lot back up.

Job done.

Now that is a simply fine idea. Thanks everso all!