Towing my Jeep on an 'A' Frame

Ian L

Just got back from a wet & windy weekend away at Bath, stayed with the Caravan club at Bath Race Course.

'Millie' goes everywhere with us towed behind on an 'A' Frame and covered almost 3,500 miles last year plus about 5,000 miles on her own.

001.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

002.JPG

Edited by Ian L

How does the braking system work please? thanks, not seen this before.

Its a professionally made 'A' Frame by Caratow http://www.caratow.com/system.php which I have addapted to fit my jeep.

Its works on the simple principal that an overrun hitch pulls on a fixed cable which in turn pulls the brake pedal down.

A simple bracket bolted on the chassis next to the brake master cylinder anchors the outer cable, the inner cable pulls the pedal down.

Although very simple in design it took many hours of trial and error to perfect, I will take some more detailed photos tomorrow to show how it works.

Looks very professional. Do you get pulled over by inquisitive authorities much?

(I Pm'd you on those rear light units the other day).

Not forgotten you.

Just checked with the seller and there are 2 pairs left, will reply to your PM tomorrow with their details.

Ian

I used to have a similar system I made myself, but got rid of it following further reading of trailer regulations. I seem to recall there was something in there that said that the trailer ( Jeep ) needed some independant means of applying the brakes ( mechanical system ) in the event of a breakaway, should the trailer ( Jeep ) hydraulic system fail.

I switched to a custom made flatbed, though the 'A' frame was far more convenient, and took less space to store. I just didn't want to take chances on points if I came across a 'difficult' traffic officer.

I used to have a similar system I made myself, but got rid of it following further reading of trailer regulations. I seem to recall there was something in there that said that the trailer ( Jeep ) needed some independant means of applying the brakes ( mechanical system ) in the event of a breakaway, should the trailer ( Jeep ) hydraulic system fail.

I switched to a custom made flatbed, though the 'A' frame was far more convenient, and took less space to store. I just didn't want to take chances on points if I came across a 'difficult' traffic officer.

This is all 100% legal at the moment but !!!!!!!!

legislation is coming in 2014 which means that vehicles with servo assisted brakes will need some sort of device to maintain a vacuum.

I'll take my chance till then.

Edited by Ian L

legislation is coming in 2014 which means that vehicles with servo assisted brakes with need some sort of device to maintain a vacuum.

Won't you be alright even then, as a jeep doesn't have any servo?

Thanks a lot for that, I have emailed them for a quote.

I have a trailer to move it but sometimes it would be nice to take it on something that didn't have to be stored the other end.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve I don't think they will make one for you mate ? it would be cheeper if you bought a second hand 'A' Frame & cable off ebay and we copied the brackets off my Jeep.

Ian

Although it in theory complies with the law alas it is not type approved, the hydraulic damped coupling is, but not the cable braking system, there is info on the VOSA website that raises concerns about this type of system not able to reach the required braking efficiency. in practise I doubt if the police would ever bother to pursue a prosecution, one could always claim it was made prior to when the regs. were introduced !

Edited by Nick Johns