Progress on the A&E vehicles

I'm trying to convince myself that I'm on the home stretch with my M20 and wondered how everyone else was doing?

My bike looks more incomplete than it really is and it's the rear mudguard repair that's stopping me from slotting the gearbox & back-end into place, plus I don't want to get oil on the dining room floor! 'Er Indoors wouldn't like that...

The barrel/head/piston should be back later this week and then once the cases have been prepped, that can go back together as well.

Heck!

DSC01702.jpg

The bike is looking fab. I only hope it is not going to be like the bloke who built a boat in his shed and then couldnt get it out without knocking down the shed, or in your case taking the bike apart again..............

Brilliant job.

Dave

Hi Lee, I think its you, it always made me laugh that when ever you talk to someone and tell them you are restoring a motorcycle they say " At least theres not much to a Motorcycle ", well after I did my first one I said I would`nt do another although I did, but it is amazing the amount of work and time involved. The most scary thing I found was ordering a few studs, washers and small items, packet arriving through the letterbox and an invoice for 70 or 80 quid, :wow: but after all this, that moment you fueller her up and hear that thump for the first time is irreplaceable:D and then riding down the road:banana:keep going buddy!!!!!! Ian.

Thanks chaps. I can't believe how many parts are painted on an M20 and with 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of colour and 2 coats of matt lacquer, that's a lot of paint. Just the headlight, rear mudguard, seats and pannier frames to go...

Hi Ian, yes it's me and you're absolutely right about fasteners. I jotted down what seemed like a decent-ish list for just the engine and £20-odd arrived in a matchbox sized packet. I'm now thinking that the plating kit I bought for the studs/bolts/etc has saved a few quid.

• 2 months later...

Apart from the toolbox, sump guard and a spot of fettling, the M20 is ready for A&E 2012.

I'm a whopping 15 miles into my 500 mile running-in period which was helped by my 10 year old daughter acting as co-pilot this afternoon.

All being well, the Jubilee weekend should see the other bits in place and a few more miles on the clock.

Dorchester, here we come!

DSC01872.jpg

DSC01871-1.jpg

Very nice job. Oh yes we have all had the 'motorcycles arent that hard to restore' comment... :shocked:

Maybe we should start a thread about 'wierd things seen in living room's that really arent supposed to be there' and see what truns up.

Luckily mines in the shed at present but there may be some staff car bits in the lounge :whistle:

006.jpg

008.jpg

Apart from the toolbox, sump guard and a spot of fettling, the M20 is ready for A&E 2012.

I'm a whopping 15 miles into my 500 mile running-in period which was helped by my 10 year old daughter acting as co-pilot this afternoon.

All being well, the Jubilee weekend should see the other bits in place and a few more miles on the clock.

Dorchester, here we come!

Very nice Lee, a great feeling to hear it fire up and ride it for the first time. I expect you`re pillion is very pleased with your work and expecting an invitation to a certain event in a few weeks:-) Ian.

Thanks for all the compliments, they're good to hear after the hours and hours of work. The work only started after thinking that I'd 'pretty up' a couple of bits...

My pillion is keen to help further with the running in so, fingers crossed, we'll find time for another outing this weekend.

And yes, hearing it fire-up for the first time in months is one heck of a feeling.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?olwz2k

Hi Garrison,

Yours is looking good and I love it's markings.

My Dad rode and instructed on British Despatch bikes during WW2 and I applied for his service record in the hope of mirroring his markings on my bike. Sadly, it's a 9 to 12 month wait but all being well, it'll be here soon.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jawqe1

Hi Garrison,

Yours is looking good and I love it's markings.

My Dad rode and instructed on British Despatch bikes during WW2 and I applied for his service record in the hope of mirroring his markings on my bike. Sadly, it's a 9 to 12 month wait but all being well, it'll be here soon.

---

Hi and thanks. It will be fitted with a BMW replica sidecar as soon as funds allow and displayed as a "what the kiwi LRDG guys could have mucked around with"

Hope the paperwork gets you all the relevant info you require. Being a smaller country our lead time for ex-service history is around a month, but it is always exciting when the package arrives at the door.

Look forward to seeing more pics.

Thanks chaps. I can't believe how many parts are painted on an M20 and with 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of colour and 2 coats of matt lacquer, that's a lot of paint. Just the headlight, rear mudguard, seats and pannier frames to go...

Hi Ian, yes it's me and you're absolutely right about fasteners. I jotted down what seemed like a decent-ish list for just the engine and £20-odd arrived in a matchbox sized packet. I'm now thinking that the plating kit I bought for the studs/bolts/etc has saved a few quid.

Sorry to butt in on this topic but you write 'matt lacquer' - could you please tell me who sells this lacquer? I assume it will fuel proof the paint? Thank you.

Hi Graham

I've used Lechler matt lacquer which, strangely, isn't quite matt but 20% of matting agent mixed with it gives the desired finish. Initially I masked a spray card and it's impossible to tell the difference between the lacquered and non-lacquered bits, which is what I was after.

I've seen the paint on eBay but it is 2K iso and will need air fed equipment, etc when it's being used