Land Rover S3 Lightweight side lights

Rover8FFR

I have noticed with interest, but no common theme, that is obvious that the relationship of side lights and indicators vary on many S3 Lightweights and I wonder why.

Even perusing Mark Cook's book there are a lots of instances where indicators are stacked over side lights and Visa Versa!

Does anyone know of a specific pattern of what was done when or is it a lottery!

Indeed if it changed then for what reason.......Some images on the WWW, suggest that it changed and changed back through ERN;s????????????

Anyone any ideas.

Thanks

Hi Wayne,

Not sure about MOD spec for lights but the side lights and the stop/tail lights go above the indicators on all the ex-mod landies that I own and all the landies(civvi and mod) that I have worked on. What year is your lightweight?

Chris

Look at civilian S3 photographs - you will find the same , I suspect it may have been Home or Export market differences.

Not only position variations - BUT perusal of the Solihull build up parts sheets of abt. 1979 / '90 - shows a mixture of glass and plastic bug-eye on some contracts. Prior to noting this fact - I had assumed it was MOD personnel using lens to hand or what they wished , (far to much hassle to swop positioning on a whim) . There would have been assembly line instructions on fitting of lighting according to intended lighting regulations..

It seems that there was some concern with sight of the amber trafficators (note also the plastic lens are marked Front or Rear) , I suspect the glass lens type were difficult to see flashing in strong sunlight.

So if you wish to compare period photographs - I would avoid HG , HH + HJ VRM's.. I was reliably informed from a sound Solihull source that the British MOD received many additional contracts around '79/'80 - these being frustrated middle east sales. These vehicles had a number of detail differences (some later incorporated on British contracts) other changes already on line - such as "rationalization" project to the axles & brakes. I suspect there was a flurry of change to nomenclature plates only on vehicles already built up - but no other changes made inc. lighting.

Hi Wayne,

Not sure about MOD spec for lights but the side lights and the stop/tail lights go above the indicators on all the ex-mod landies that I own and all the landies(civvi and mod) that I have worked on. What year is your lightweight?

Chris

1976 mate

• 3 years later...