Gun Makers Fitter

Tony B

Right Phil has been tracing his family tree. He has come across a relation living in Erith in about 1890. The Proffesion is given as Gun Maker's Fitter. The obvious connection is Woolwich Arsenal. Any of the red legs out there have any idea what a Gun Maker's Fitter would do?

Thanks mate! I've a feeling though in this case we are reffering to the military term of 'Guns' ie Artillery as opposed to small arms. That was the usual military , one size fits no one. So down to Woolwich then for a nose in the Archives. I do know there is in existence (Well about 1990) a journal describing all the trades the Arsenal employed. That would be about the time Armstrong became Chief Enginner. The birth of modern artillery with recoil and smokeles sproppelants.

Edited by Tony B

My mothers side of the family all hail from Erith and the males of the family all worked in the Woolwich Arsenal.

GT uncle Arthur used to chinwag with me about his job, I cannot remember the job title but part of it consisted of taking barrels from the rifling machine, setting them on a jig with three coloured lights arranged to reflect off the internal surfaces of the barrel... He had to look at the light patern then turn the barrel in the correct orientation to "adjust" it with a flannel faced mallet.

Edited by rog8811
sp

My mothers side of the family all hail from Erith and the males of the family all worked in the Woolwich Arsenal.

GT uncle Arthur used to chinwag with me about his job, I cannot remember the job title but part of it consisted of taking barrels from the rifling machine, setting them on a jig with three coloured lights arranged to reflect off the internal surfaces of the barrel... He had to look at the light patern then turn the barrel in the correct orientation to "adjust" it with a flannel faced mallet.

Spoke to a guy I knew from Halstead today. He said the device your uncle was on about was an Autocolimator. It shines a series of tight focus beams through to reflecting mirrors. When the lights hit the internal surface, provided it is spotlessley clean, the angle of deflection can be measured.