Max. width of a Dodge WC51/2

shopnut

Worth throwing in here, for those considering purchase decisions, that although half ton WC Dodges are a little lighter and narrower than the 3/4 ton, the fixed bodies like half ton Carryalls are actually slightly higher than the 3/4 ton WCs.

Virtually all parts of these machines can be manhandled by one person ( ask me how I know .... ) with only engine blocks and axle assemblies being too heavy to lift or roll easily - the front axles are particularly difficult to handle on your own.

Best Dodge type is the early VC half ton ( I would say that - wouldn't I ? ), which was lighter all round, but chassis and axles are not as durable as the later ones, plus spares are more difficult to get.

485.jpg

Got the teeshirt, that's how.

I remember getting two half ton WC36 Carryalls, one on top of the other, with the spare engine dropped inside.

I managed to lift / roll all the bits out of and off of the various locations, manhandle the body off, jack it square ( the rear liftgate / tailgate aperture was 2" out of square ) and roll it back on again. Surprisingly easy as it was just a tin box by the time everything else was removed. I have photographic evidence somewhere,

rummage, rummage;

Biggest swine was trying to shift a half ton 4 x 4 WC front axle as that was both heavy, awkward, and trying to crush your hands if you gave the thing half a chance.

There are no two-person jobs on a Dodge, there just aren't. Unlike my DUKW and LARC-V when you either needed a hand or two wreckers on hire at an arm and a leg per hour.

I would thoroughly recommend a Dodge to someone that wanted to own just one vehicle, but it had to be something that could be stored, shifted, and worked on just by one person

CAR0060.jpg

Edited by Gordon_M