Bedford MW Steering Wheels

44GPW

Question

Were original MW Steering wheels Black, Green or both?

Mine looks very original and is Green. I have seen others this colour also on restoration threads. Most seem to be black, the same used on other Bedfords.

As mine is very tatty i plan to get it restored, so could do with some clarity as to what colour it should be before i do.

Maybe its an early/late thing?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

Richard

10 answers to this question

Guys,

Does anyone have any ideas on this??

I'm about to send mine off for recovering so i need to make a decision on the colour.

Thanks

Richard

Mine was black, as was one my brother restored in the early 80's

We also pulled anotehr very rough MW out of a scrapyard (Molesworth) and that had a black wheel as well

Mine looks very original and is Green. I have seen others this colour also on restoration threads. Most seem to be black, the same used on other Bedfords.

As mine is very tatty i plan to get it restored, so could do with some clarity as to what colour it should be before i do.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard my Bedford Steering wheel is most definitely green but the horn button I have just aquired is black.

Who are you using to restore your wheel ?

Thanks all for your responses.

Ian, here's the link to the company i'm going to use. http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk/bus_and_coach_steering_wheels_gallery.php

They seem to know their stuff and have a mould for the MW wheel.

Where did you get your centre from as mine is missing also.

Cheers

Richard

My Ford WOT2 has a Green steering wheel and my Ford WOA2 has a Black steering wheel. Both are the same part number and are interchangeable. Was there more than one supplier and did they just use what was available? I assume Bedford were in the same situation as Ford during WW2 with supplies.

I have seen the results of the company you have mentioned for the restoration of the steering wheel, at Beaulieu Autojubmble and I was very impressed with their work. Not cheap but very good results.

Edited by woa2
added some more

Thanks Robert.

I think the different manufacturers theroy is probably the most likely reason for the differnt colours found? After all, there was a war on and i would have thought the steering wheel colour figured very low in the priorty list?

Just wanted to make sure before i got mine restored.

Thanks all for your input.

Richard

Thanks all for your responses.

Ian, here's the link to the company i'm going to use. http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk/bus_and_coach_steering_wheels_gallery.php

They seem to know their stuff and have a mould for the MW wheel.

Where did you get your centre from as mine is missing also.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard me too, I had a quote from them a few months ago but not got round to sending it off yet.

I got my horn button 2 weeks ago from a chap that sold me a 10cwt trailer, I know of another horn button complete but he wont sell it to me yet !!!!

Thanks

Richard

Hi All,

Maybe a late responce.

But the steering wheel of my earoscreen Bedford is originally black.

I had to restore it becouse of the cracks in it did also repaire 3 others for other MV friends of me.

Did use a filling that we use at my work for socketing steal wire onto sockets.

Its good stuf the only negative thing is that it is very hard so tools wil wear of fast but after grinding and painting

it looks amazingly new.

Cheers,

Louis