Smock Care Question

Rasputin

Well, I finally got my 68 pattern smock today, and I forgot how well these are made! The one I have is NOS, and has a bit of a musty smell, so it needs cleaning.

Whats the best way to do this to prevent damage or shrinking? I was thinking of a gentle machine wash, and letting it hang to dry.

Is there a better way?

Dry cleaning is a no-no......this process always manages to fade garments....:(

Best is a very light wash........best to ask the missus though for info on this process........I can operate lathes, computers, heavy machinery, firearms, etc.......but the microwave, DVD, TV controller and washing machine confuse me (I use the 12 year old for the former)....even the vacuum cleaner is challenging.....:-D

Hand wash , luke warm water in Nikwax Tech wash. Use the bath so you don't have to ball it up to much, but clean bath throughly first to remove any residue. Rinse thouroghly, Nikwax Cotton Proof is a good addition at this point Allow to drip spread flat over an airer with a towel underneath, this prevents any marks from the spreader bars. Air dry with minimum heat. The flatter you can dry it the better.

Thanks for the replys guys. The Smock had a bit of mildew smell, and what looked to be several spots on the inside, so I had to do something.

I ended up putting it in the washing machine usig cold water, and very little soap, then let it air dry. There is still a little bit of smell, but I think letting it air out outside this weekend in the wind will clear up any remaing smell.

I've never heard of Nikwax...can I buy this in the States?