Chevs rescued

Chev41

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WAR & PEACE 2.jpgHi folks finally found the pic of 7 Chevys we got together at the War and Peace show 2008.maybe Malcolm you will be able to beat it this year. I do like the restoration and sometimes wish I`d have kept mine. In the pic mine was nearest to the camera.

Cheers Dave

Hi They Look Fab in the Dirt, I put on the new seat covers today, there's a secret to putting them on, and I didnt find it.. pleased with the results though now the seats are back in. Then helped Howard with the clutch, sump and then refit the engine on his GMC. Loved the trailer. M

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60494[/ATTACH]Hi folks finally found the pic of 7 Chevys we got together at the War and Peace show 2008.maybe Malcolm you will be able to beat it this year. I do like the restoration and sometimes wish I`d have kept mine. In the pic mine was nearest to the camera.

Cheers Dave

Hi dave it was 2007 :-) and here is another one if you want some other pictures just send me a PM.

Kristof

beltring2007392.jpg

I believe that to be true, varnished wood seems to be a more recent trend.....

Indeed it is, I also know some owners strip the wood and wax/oil it. It looks great, but of course it painted was olive drab during manufacture, also on Canadian CMP Chevrolets.

If used a lot, the paint will gradually rub off, of course, so for that authentic motor pool look one could repaint and then rub off to make it look used . . . . :nut:

Edited by mcspool

Hi All,

Heres an update on progress, The vacuum wipers now work so I made some covers that fit over the motors, Made a Spare wheel carrier and repaired the headlamps which were almost rotted in half ! In repaired the outer rims with cake tins as I cant roll the edges getting there... Still waiting for the Master Cyl ti be done, Got two weeks to finish Chevy 1 ! mORE AIRCRAFT COMING IN. Enjoy thre picsheadlamps and spare wheel carrier 032.jpg

headlamps and spare wheel carrier 001.jpg

headlamps and spare wheel carrier 007.jpg

headlamps and spare wheel carrier 008.jpg

headlamps and spare wheel carrier 013.jpg

headlamps and spare wheel carrier 019.jpg

Another long Monday, Helped Howard this morning on trailer brakes, Really enjoyed the trip out ! amazing... Thanks for the parts, I replaced the wire which runs down the steering coluum and fitted the Horn button and tested it, I need to find the connector now that fits onto the coluum for the live feed, I reckon a Jeep one would fit. Cut out the body for the spare wheel and now have the body at the correct hight, also fitted the dash light covers and light switch in preperation for the wiring. The master cylinder is now ready for collection so Brake pipes next, I have stripped the Hydrovac and it needs a seal in slave Cyl so I can drop that off when I collect the Master. Heres a couple of picsspare wheel carrier and oddball 006.jpg

spare wheel carrier and oddball 008.jpg

H all,

I Now have the Master Cylinder back and new seals for the hydrovac slave cylinder together with the new 1/4 inch coppper brake pipe, and collected the flareing tool. Hopefully by the weekend I may have some brakes...

Hi All,

I got the Hydrovac all back together with the new seals ! fingers crossed it will work, the pipe linking the two halves had been blanked off in the past for some reason, so I just hope it will be OK. Fitted the master cylinder and linkages, made all the new copper brake pipes and fitted them all on.... I am worn out now, long day and just got in...

Many many thanks to Howard for helping me today bleeding and replacing the rear brake pipe ! The brakes are now working and fuel lines are on.. Wont make the 40s do at mid Suffolk in the Chev this Sun, but will be there in the Jeep if the rain holds off...

Hi all,

Bolted the Body on temp to move her home, bolted in the Fuel Tank. Road tested the Brakes and all good ! Well Chuffed had a visit from odd ball ...... We are at Mid Suffolk Railway 1940s doo tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up for a chat (Chev wont be there ) I am taking the Jeep..spare wheel carrier and oddball 011.jpg Coooorrr !

Lovely pictures thanks - I have been hard at it again today, She now runs from the petrol tank, I wired the fuel gauge to the sender unit, ammeter wired, ignition switch wired in and I made the rear wiring loom with the extra wires for indicators, fitted a new battery (12V) I know its not original, here's a couple of pictures. I have started the process of trying to save the old No plate and getting registered for the road.wiring 002.jpg Slow process as I am unsoldering all the original wiring connectors and resoldering them onto the new wire..

wiring 001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Finished the Wiring Loom, Lights work, indicators, fitted a Alternator so it has enough power to charge the Trailer when thats done, battery clamped in, adjusted the brakes after a test drive down the side of the runway, fuel problems which I think was the fuel pump sucking in air through the glass bowl seal, I have now fitted a brass one.

If the weather is good on Saturday I will be top coating the whole truck, stenciling next week.... Set the valve clearances to she runs nice and quite now. One or two minor oil leaks to resolve. Then she will be ready, still waiting for the Ash for the body mounting. still to fit the tire on the spare wheel..

Ordered the stencils today, top coating tomorrow. The jobs to do list is getting shorter... I need a Handbrake band if anyone can help ? I was promised one two months ago from Belgium but it not materialized yet.DSC_0123.JPG