Chevs rescued

Chev41

.... Puts my bomb truck to shame!! ....

I know what you mean, Paul :(

I was coping OK with this thread, even getting inspired by it, until I saw the last set of photos - then I felt a little bit like this:

Motivation.JPG

Never mind, we'll get there eventually!!!!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well M you have got on really well, I am still waiting to here from past parts about the m cylinder and my trailer wheel cylinders I will collect as soon as they are ready, its now holding me up on the trailer.Glad putting the tyres on went ok.

Regards Howard

Hi Paul good to catch up, I will need the Kit for Chevy no2, looking fward to getting stuck in on that one too, I am thinking of doing it as a tractor unit or a K51 panel van although very ambitous.. Looking forward to see how she moves under her own power for the first time in 47 years, I traced the history back to when when it left Ricks of Dereham (Vauxhall Bedford main dealer Breakdown truck) in 1965, I assume it ran then could be longer, I know it was part of the hedge since the previous owner bought it in 1980 maybe earlier.. Got new seat covers coming very soon. Would be nice if someone out there has a Spare wheel carrier before I make one ? M

She Moves 008.jpg Hi All...

Managed to put the Drivers side brakes all back together, fitted two more tires, then, I did finally manage to drive it for the first time in 47 years ! Not very far but she did drive...

Big milestone.. Sounded nice

She Moves 003.jpg

I find it amazing how much progress you've made in such a short space of time.

It's taken the better part of a fortnight just to paint mine in between shifts - and I haven't finished stencilling it yet, but you've restored the whole truck and got it running in a little over twice that!

Really, really well done - looking forward to seeing it on the circuit:clap:

Looks lovely, winch, early grille type.

Radiator probably no big deal in that we should all expect to recore or replace 70 year old radiators at least once then we won't have to worry about them again. At least the Chev radiator is conventional construction and not film or honeycomb core.

Hi All,

Test running the Engine yesterday run good, checked the Compressions and No2 cylinder was 100 PSI and No 4 was 75 PSI ! so I removed the Cylinder head, one sticky Valve is the cause, so I am grinding all the Valves back in to improve the compression also more debris had moved in the Cyl head from the Radiator. Should be back running Saturday. New seat covers are on the way too..

M.

Hi All,

I popped down at lunchtime and ground all the Valves back in ! I got the Cylinder head back on, now the compressions are all around 125 psi and more, I started her up and it ran well, more testing Saturday.... Seat cover have arrived Cheers Mark

Hi All,

I popped down at lunchtime and ground all the Valves back in ! I got the Cylinder head back on, now the compressions are all around 125 psi and more, I started her up and it ran well, more testing Saturday.... Seat cover have arrived Cheers Mark

Today I changed the coil, removed the supressor caps and replaced two plug leads, stripped down the distributor to free off the centralfugal advance, but she still ran lumpy, Roy Baker came down and isolated the problem to faulty (New) Spark plugs being incorrect heat range, timing reset ! It ran perfect ... Wonder of I can fit one of them Burma sptfires on the back..

Very good looking line up of Chevys. That must have taken a lot of organising at a show the size of The War and Peace Show.

I bet the Chevy Auger is a prize winning truck; if only it had a wooden steering wheel! ;)

Someone once told me the wooden wheels were originally painted green - would there be any truth in that?

Hi NOS,

I'm sure I've read that both the wooden wheels and the three spoke 'hard rubber' wheels were both painted OD from factory. Hard rubber early war, wooden late war.

Nice Job you're doing there, Malcolm!

Hi Thanks for the pictures, my steering wheel is a Rubber one on the early Chev, and a Bakelite/steel one on the other, Roy Baker assured me mine was the original, to my Knowledge they didnt fit wooden wheels to Chevs but I am no expert..

New Plugs and leads coming...