US vehicle serial numbers

geoffleese

Morning everyone.

Another bone question.

A pal of ours in Normandy is restoring an M3 half-track.

Under layers of paint he's found a number, 168 331 painted on the rear of the vehicle.

Is this an American number and if so, is it traceable to a particular unit? Did I remember that the first three letters are the unit number?

Thanks in advance.

I don't believe this number is American, the only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of it being British but I am no expert so I stand to be corrected. I think Adrian B will be able to comment on the likelihood or otherwise of it being British.

It could be anything to be honest! The original USA reg. number would be 40xxxxx o that does not fit. A British Army number would be Zxxxxxxx. We did not use many Whites, most of the British halftracks were IHC. I did find a contract for two M2s, Z4857971 and Z4857972.

If it were a unit number, it would be more likely on the rear bumpers and in conjunction with symbols to indicate unit size. If it is in a single row on black rectangle, it's more likely a French Army registration number.