Moving my DUKW

AmphibAndy

My Dad bought a DUKW in about 1978 an its been sat in his shed for too long. Its now time to get it out and do something with it, I would like to restore it. unfortunately the brakes are set solid and I cannot move it. I assume the shoes have expanded with the damp and locked up. Now even getting the wheels off and the drums off seized on shoes will be a monster job before I start the strip down. Can anyone offer any quick fixes? I cant think of any myself

jan12 475.jpg

jan12 476.jpg

jan12 477.jpg

jan12 478.jpg

jan12 479.jpg

the DUKW is in Shropshire but it will be moved to Kent once I can roll it! I have one suggestion of cutting the wheel cylinders out which sounds a bit severe if you are not good with the plazma cutter! There must be an easy way! I guess it may mean taking each wheel off and removing the hubs. I wonder how you get the hubs off it they are seized on. May be some sort of hub extractor

thanks for the offer of help , where are you based?

I would get plenty of penetrating fluid on the brake adjusters, let them soak for a while then try to back off the brakes, this has worked for me in the past. If worst comes to worst you could be looking at breaking up brake drums but this is last resort approach. If you can find somewhere to attach a straight bar you can try rocking it forwards and backwards which may also do the trick. Have each wheel off and bang around the drum with copper mallet or using piece of hardwood between hammer and drum to try and dislodge rust build up before the pushing/pulling method is used.

Good luck!

...the DUKW is in Shropshire but it will be moved to Kent once I can roll it!...l cylinders out which sounds a bit severe if you are not good with the plazma cutter! ?

Do not, under any circumstances, use cutting/welding equipment on a wheel with a tyre attached. (Regardless of whether the tyre is leaky, deflated, valve removed or even with the bead not seated on the rim.) Death or serious injury may result.

Brought to you by the elves who drink safe tea (because elfin safe tea is very important in these litigious times).

Chris.

i read about a chap that had a similar problem, he recommended heating the outer part of the drum which makes it expand thus breaking the bond between shoe and drum, then leave it to cool for an hour and it should come off but let me say that i've not tried it so i couldn't guarantee it works.

there is another way which is easier and i'd try it first if i were you. get the biggest heaviest wagon you can lay your hands on and hook it up with a straight bar to the dukw and rock it back and forth and see what happens :D

good luck with it

rick

well thanks Guys, a few ideas here. I recall that we managed to pull the front shackle out once before when we moved it , so I think I would have to put something around the axle. I do have one of those adjustable US, I think Jimmy, tow bars with chains to go around the axle so that may be the tool we need. Trying to do any of the above work where the Duck is at the moment will be hard as there is no electricity on site. It would be good to get it out first. The history is that it is ex Army , British and we bought it from Crook Brothers in as I said about 1978 ish from memory. It was a lot better when we got it! It will need quite a bit of welding but my guess is that any unrestored Dukw that had been floated would need much the same as the slat doesnt stop working away. its fitted with an A Frame which i think make it one of a few as they didnt all have them. I need to get the UK serial number and chassis number to check out more details on year of manufacture etc. I would dearly love to get this restored but its a major project and the welding alone would cost a fortune.

Andy, whenever I've had a problem with stuck brakes in the past the following has always worked:

1. Free up adjusters if possible and back them off fully

2. Get very large hammer, preferably nylon or rawhide or at least copper rather than steel. Tap drums and backplates hard and sharp in several places. If you can't get at the drum, hit the nave of the wheel. Don't hit repeatedly in the same place and don't beat the hell out of it - you don't want to damage or bend anything and if you do the cast drum may well crack.

The idea is similar to tapping the eye a ball joint pin is fitted to to release it - a sharp rap will make the drum flex slightly which makes the rust let go, particularl if the adjusters are off so the return springs are trying to help you.

I'm not familiar with GMCs, but if the brake drums are the type where you can put a forcing screw in to jack them off the hub, you can take the wheels off and try that, forcing gradually and tapping as you go - again, back the adjusters off fully first if possible.

Rocking it should work, but ...

Ideally you would have driven it in nose first, so you could pull it out by the pintle hook. There really isn't a good way to hook onto the front of it if the towing points are rusty or broken.

DUKWs have demountable drums, so you could pull each wheel and then each drum without pulling drive shafts and wheel bearings.

Gordon

thanks, another very good idea. I will have to take some big mates with me as even taking the wheels off and on will be a big job! ah well, what the heck, it has to be done. Of course, it may well be only one or two wheels that are stuck which will help matter greatly. I need to try to take a couple of days off to sort this and then I can start to think about how I am going to tell my better half that we may be receiving a new house guest!

I've done that myself and it's no big deal for DUKW wheels, slightly heavier is you have 12 ply tyres though. Remember that DUKW linings are the ones that are less absorbant to water than GMC ordinary linings and I found little rust when I stripped mine.

Pulling it out cautiously to see which wheels turn would help.

I was up in Shropshire last week but I only saw a shed full of Pinzgauers and a great fish & chip shop

Didn't see no dukw, damnit

Thinking what I could do with that and my mate the very cheap tig guy, makes me drool.

Best of luck and be sure to post piccies

PS dont tell the other half.... just say youre having an affair as they understand that. They dont understand guys wanting to spend alone time with vehicles

Edited by fesm_ndt

well thanks Guys, a few ideas here. I recall that we managed to pull the front shackle out once before when we moved it , so I think I would have to put something around the axle. I do have one of those adjustable US, I think Jimmy, tow bars with chains to go around the axle so that may be the tool we need. Trying to do any of the above work where the Duck is at the moment will be hard as there is no electricity on site. It would be good to get it out first. The history is that it is ex Army , British and we bought it from Crook Brothers in as I said about 1978 ish from memory. It was a lot better when we got it! It will need quite a bit of welding but my guess is that any unrestored Dukw that had been floated would need much the same as the slat doesnt stop working away. its fitted with an A Frame which i think make it one of a few as they didnt all have them. I need to get the UK serial number and chassis number to check out more details on year of manufacture etc. I would dearly love to get this restored but its a major project and the welding alone would cost a fortune.

my dad has somewhere a pic taken around late seventies with the dukws stacked at crooks , will ask him if he can find it..

thanks I would like to see the photo. There were three at the time we bought ours. I also bought my International M5 from them with a full REME folding A frame and raised rear body on. Took that one around Normandy in 1984 at 5.5 mpg. Dont think I could afford that now!

thanks I would like to see the photo. There were three at the time we bought ours. I also bought my International M5 from them with a full REME folding A frame and raised rear body on. Took that one around Normandy in 1984 at 5.5 mpg. Dont think I could afford that now!

asked him tonight mate ,he says if he remembers correctly they were sinking into each other , he will have a look for it ,when poss..............